Texas Fishing Forum

Port Aransas in September

Posted By: Hlane

Port Aransas in September - 07/26/17 05:20 PM

Hey guys I am headed to Port A in September and looking for some easy flies to tie for the trip. Probably will fish both surf and bay sides. Any ideas would be very appreciated. Never done any saltwater fly fishing before.
Posted By: SightCastFishing

Re: Port Aransas in September - 07/27/17 06:41 PM

For the bay sides, I would focus on Redfish flies that imitate shrimps and crabs. Like a Kwan, a gurgler, Merkin Crab, Grand Slam Crab, Borski Slider, Redfish Ritalin, and a Spoon fly for good measure. For the surf side, try for bigger baitfish type patterns, like a Deceiver, Clousers, EP Peanut Butter or a Muddler.
Posted By: mickfly

Re: Port Aransas in September - 07/29/17 06:45 PM

In terms of easy flies, I'd focus on Clousers in chartreuse over white, white over white, gray over white and tan over white, with both beadchain and lead eyes based on the depth you are fishing. A similar fly is a bendback, better for keeping you out of the weeds. Similar colors, plus a few darker ones (black over red). Cypert Mylar Minnows in chartreuse, white and gray, again varying the size of the eyes for depth.
Posted By: KQT

Re: Port Aransas in September - 08/11/17 04:13 PM

I have done well on a crazy Chalies mostly pink and white in the surf. Mainly catch whiting and skip jacks. Easy and fun fly to tie.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum