Texas Fishing Forum

Fly tying tool kit

Posted By: Hunter498

Fly tying tool kit - 08/13/16 11:29 PM

I would like some feedback and advice on buying a fly tying tool kit. I see different brands and packages on line and on ebay. I was wondering whats the best bang for the buck?
Posted By: rrhyne56

Re: Fly tying tool kit - 08/13/16 11:35 PM

I haven't shopped them in some while. A trip to Orvis or Cabelas etc., buying nice scissors, bobbins, the basics, can be an enlightening experience in and of itself.
As in most things, one gets what one pays for.
I did not exactly answer your question, but that's my thoughts on the matter.
Posted By: karstopo

Re: Fly tying tool kit - 08/14/16 06:39 AM

It might depend on what you plan on tying to see what tools you will use. I've used the Dr slick Scissors and think they are very good. Of course, you will need a bobbin. Ceramic tips are nice to protect very fine tying threads. Some bobbins have adjustable tension. I have one, but I just like a basic smallish bobbin for most anything I tie. I tie a number of flies with material dubbed onto the hook shank via a dubbing loop. There is a tool for creating those loops and tightening them up. Some of the tools are short with thin wire, others long and with more sturdy heavy wire. I like the long sturdy variety. Hackle pliers are nice, especially on smaller flies. You don't have to have a whip finisher, but I like them. The design with the Italian sounding name is my favorite. A bodkin is useful for teasing out material and I use mine to smooth out UV cure glue. Vise, I like mine to securely hold the hook. Some do lot more than that. A toothbrush is handy for getting material to cooperate. I bet I've left out something. I don't tie many small patterns. A size 16 hook is about the smallest I've used. 95 percent of what I tie is for saltwater use. A size 2 pattern is easier for me than a size 16. They make a light with a big magnifier lense and that is handy on smaller stuff. Some you wear. Mine is on a long arm that attaches to my desk. I think UV cure is essential to being a happy tyer. I've done epoxy and other adhesives, but I feel like the UV products blow the others away in the time they save and the ease of use and the results. I've used loon and Solarez. I bought a relatively cheap UV light off Amazon for way less than the loon light and it works great.
Posted By: TioPick

Re: Fly tying tool kit - 09/29/16 01:35 AM

Years ago I bought this (or looks like it) from Cabela's IIRC for about the Amazon price
https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Fly-Tyin...fly+tying+tools
I have added a lot of stuff.. right now Amazon has Orvis standard bobbins for $3.00 or 3 for $15 if you want the ceramic. I have picked up a couple more vices somewhere or another but have not sprung for a rotary one yet... maybe Christmas.. I could perch this kit on the steering wheel of our big truck and tie while waiting to get loaded or unloaded.. I also carried rods etc with me. You just add your head cement and thread etc. I would not buy a tying material kit because the ones I checked out were low quality, had a bunch of stuff you probably will not need and most likely not the things for the fly you want to tie. Some stuff I have bought in Hobby Lobby or other craft store (long time ago) and you can get good hackle, Metz or Whiting online... Just mi dos pesos
Posted By: ccrews

Re: Fly tying tool kit - 09/30/16 03:44 PM

most kits fall down somewhere but they aren't a bad place to start

I bought the boxed set at cabela's in the late 80's or early 90's

it's travelled all over the country and tied hundreds of flies but there is not one part of it that I would say is great or even good except for convenience

over time I've replaced every tool in it
scissors first then the hackle pliers...on and on

all that said for an initial investment of under twenty bucks I must say the purchase was one of my better ones

if I was looking for a day-to-day kit i'd research a bit and buy the best snips I could afford then add tools that I liked after that

also i'd avoid ebay and go to a shop where you could try the tools and get some feedback
Posted By: fray

Re: Fly tying tool kit - 10/06/16 10:06 PM

Thanks for the info
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum