Texas Fishing Forum

Any fly tying stores in Dallas or Houston anymore?

Posted By: Eastexfly

Any fly tying stores in Dallas or Houston anymore? - 07/29/16 03:23 PM

Just wondering if there was anywhere around to look at supplies in person? Would love to find a place that stocks Vises other than Thompson knock offs and Peak rotaries too.
Posted By: RexW

Re: Any fly tying stores in Dallas or Houston anymore? - 07/29/16 03:41 PM

In Dallas, Barlow's on 75 near Arapaho (however, you spell it) has a good selection of materials. One of the best and most consistent selections in Dallas. But, I don't know about their vise selection.

Cabela's in Allen seems to fluctuate in what they have on hand. Sometimes they'll have several different vises on hand and other times only one or two. But, I have seen some great deals on some higher end vises in the bargain cave. You just never know what you'll find on the shelf when you visit.

Bass Pro and Orvis also have tying supplies. Tailwaters has a limited supply of tying stuff, but is a neat place to visit.

There are some other options in the Fort Worth area, but someone else will have to comment on them.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Any fly tying stores in Dallas or Houston anymore? - 07/29/16 03:51 PM

Cabela's in Fort Worth has a big fly fishing department. I browsed through it. They had a lot of stuff. I have more.
Posted By: YAKnIT

Re: Any fly tying stores in Dallas or Houston anymore? - 08/02/16 10:19 PM

Also Backwoods in Ft. Worth.
Posted By: Bowfin47

Re: Any fly tying stores in Dallas or Houston anymore? - 08/03/16 02:41 PM

Before buying a vise, come to the Texas Fly Fishing EXPO, Sept. 9/10th.

There you can watch many of Texas's best tyers demo.ing. It is a great opportunity to see a bunch of different vises and get opinions from the tyers as to why they prefer their vise.

There will also be vendors selling a wide variety of materials...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=3&theater

http://txflyfishexpo.com/#
Posted By: RexW

Re: Any fly tying stores in Dallas or Houston anymore? - 08/03/16 10:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Bowfin47
Before buying a vise, come to the Texas Fly Fishing EXPO, Sept. 9/10th.

This suggestion is some of the best advise you'll receive if you are looking for a new vise. You'll be able see different vises in use and some of the tyer's may even let you try out their vise.
Posted By: texasflycaster

Re: Any fly tying stores in Dallas or Houston anymore? - 08/05/16 11:09 AM

Man, if you are in Chereno, you're a long way from DFW and that superfantasticflyfishingexpo! Closer, and in my opinion better, would be the Fishing Tackle Unlimited on I-45 east of Houston proper.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Any fly tying stores in Dallas or Houston anymore? - 08/08/16 01:41 AM

Barlows
Posted By: Md11

Re: Any fly tying stores in Dallas or Houston anymore? - 08/18/16 11:31 AM

Living Waters in Round Rock is the best supply store I have found in Texas. Great people. Wednesday night fly tying sessions.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum