Texas Fishing Forum

Dallas Fly Tyer's Roundtable - August 1

Posted By: RexW

Dallas Fly Tyer's Roundtable - August 1 - 07/26/16 09:54 PM

Hello Everyone, here’s an invitation to join us for the next Dallas Fly Fisher’s meeting for the annual Fly Tyer’s Roundtable. The meeting will be on Monday, August 1, 2016 from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Wyndham Dallas Suites-Park Central, 7800 Alpha Rd., Dallas, Texas 75240. (It officially starts at 7:00, but I bet some of us will start early.)

This is a wonderful learning opportunity for fly tyer’s of all skill levels, from beginning to advanced.

At last year’s event, I received a master’s level lesson in tying soft hackle style wet flies that included feather selection. The instructor had hundreds of different bird skins with him. He spent half of the evening showing us different types of feathers, explaining when to use which type of feather, and even how to evaluate and select the best skins when you buy them. I have never found a YouTube video that covers as much information as he shared that night. If you have any interest in tying flies, this event is well worth your time and it is FREE.

If you have never been to this type of fly tying event before, you will probably not have time to visit with all of the tyers. I recommend that you start with a quick trip all the way around the room to see what everyone is tying. Then prioritize the techniques or patterns that you are most interested and visit those tables first.

I plan to be one of this year’s tyers and I will be showing several hopper patterns, including a small one that is tied on a size 14 hook. I love fishing hoppers, but, I think most hopper patterns are way more complicated than they need to be. I plan to show some foam hopper patterns that are quick to tie, durable, and effective. Stop by and say hello!

Here’s the official announcement with more details:

The August Meeting, Monday, August 1st, our annual Fly Tying and Fly Fishing Skills Workshop.

The next Dallas Fly Fisher’s monthly meeting will be on Monday, August 1, 2016 from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Wyndham Dallas Suites-Park Central, 7800 Alpha Rd., Dallas, Texas 75240. This will be our Annual Fly Tying Event. We will have several DFF tyers as well as a few guest tyers from other clubs. We expect several of the tyers to arrive earlier than 7 p.m., so please feel free to come early and have dinner at the hotel. Any guests you may wish to invite are more than welcome.

This year we are going to have a “Fly Tying Swap Meet.” You are encouraged to bring anything that is fly tying related (books, magazines, videos, vises, tools, materials, etc.) that you wish to swap, sell or otherwise barter with others that night. It is up to you to do your own "wheeling and dealing” at the Swap Meet.

If you do not yet tie, or are a beginner, Richard Johnson will have a table staffed with instructors, vises, tools, hooks and materials so you can learn how to tie a fly that you can take home and catch fish with.

There will also be a Door Prize of a box of flies donated by the evening’s tyers that will be raffled off at the end of the evening. Each member or guest will receive one free raffle ticket. You must be present at the end of the evening to win.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum