Texas Fishing Forum

Guber Bugs

Posted By: Linecaster

Guber Bugs - 05/02/16 11:33 PM

Tied up some Guber Bugs in size #10, some with lead others with bead chain, critique, comments welcome.

Posted By: Coolshot

Re: Guber Bugs - 05/03/16 04:49 PM

Looks good! Bet the fish will like them!!
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Guber Bugs - 05/03/16 08:21 PM

Goober bugs are great flies. I've tied and caught fish on them before. I would love to hear which color pattern works best for you.

I really like the idea of the bead chain eyes. Just about everything I fish with has bead chain eyes but I've never tied Goober bugs with bead chain. I will now.

Well done, thanks for the idea!!!

Re: Guber Bugs - 05/03/16 08:45 PM

I guess I spelt it the German way hammer.
Thanks for the comments, I just wondered if the legs may be a bit too long.

J-Moe I usually tie my flies with bead chain if I can get away with it. I like 60 deg angle too but some hooks are very brittle if you try bending them.
Posted By: pearow

Re: Guber Bugs - 05/03/16 09:21 PM

good flies; on Lake Athens they prefer dark olive-p-

Re: Guber Bugs - 05/04/16 12:25 AM

-p- are they good Gill flies or bass?
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Guber Bugs - 05/04/16 12:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Linecaster

Thanks for the comments, I just wondered if the legs may be a bit too long.

J-Moe I usually tie my flies with bead chain if I can get away with it. I like 60 deg angle too but some hooks are very brittle if you try bending them.

I use the streamer hooks with the 60 degree turn hook eye as well.

I don't think the legs are too long. I've purchased similar flies and the legs are about that length. I do tie mine slightly shorter though. The good thing is if they ain't working you can always shorten them while fishing. I've done that before.

Re: Guber Bugs - 05/04/16 01:25 AM

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to trying them out, hopefully Saturday.

Re: Guber Bugs - 05/16/16 01:52 PM

liney: both! The bass will hit them and the big brim will also; the little brim will peck at the tail but tied in #6 or #8 you can keep the little ones off the hook. A few years ago I caught an 8 pounder on a size 10 at one of the private lakes on the Murchison Ranch while fishing for redder-p-

Re: Guber Bugs - 05/17/16 05:21 PM

Agreed on the hook size, I love Blue Gills but not dinks. The 8 pounder was on the 3 weight? Thanks for the reply.

Re: Guber Bugs - 05/17/16 06:17 PM

3 weight fiberglass. I was lucky to land it as I was fishing from the bank-p-
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum