Texas Fishing Forum

Modifications to the shannon fly

Posted By: pearow

Modifications to the shannon fly - 03/19/16 05:12 PM

using a small spinner on a folded piece of 25# mono, I wrapped the chenille body around the mono not using a marabou feather.as the pattern calls for. Using plastic eyes on a #2 60 degree jig hook, I'm hoping this will fish like a jerk bait for spring black bass but it hasn't been in the water yet.-p-

Re: Modifications to the shannon fly - 03/19/16 05:14 PM

another one:

Takes a 7 or 8 weight to cast these buggers as they really soak up the water-p-

Re: Modifications to the shannon fly - 03/20/16 05:21 PM

here's a smaller version tied on a #12 streamer hook to use with my 2 and 3 weight rods for brim and bass when the water gets a little warmer-p-

Posted By: HMK

Re: Modifications to the shannon fly - 03/22/16 12:01 PM

Interesting idea. It sent a few light bulbs off in my head as well
Posted By: RonL

Re: Modifications to the shannon fly - 03/25/16 03:48 AM

Be interesting how those work out for you . Are those tails going to be spinning or just flapping from water movement ?

Re: Modifications to the shannon fly - 03/27/16 12:44 PM

flapping-p-
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Modifications to the shannon fly - 03/27/16 01:29 PM

Very interesting. I have used some blades on the nose before, but never on the tail. Although I know others that do.

I too, am very interested to hear how well it works. It might be a good pattern to use for white bass and hybrids below the spillway. As well as, gar, buffalo and goo, LOL!!

Re: Modifications to the shannon fly - 03/27/16 02:32 PM

I have added a swivel and spinner but for the smaller flies I think its not necessary and adds additional weight ;(they are hard to cast anyway because of the water absorption. The fly will move erratically like a stick bait or a fluke when tied on with a loop knot. You want the fly to sink slowly or not at all; suspended its like teasing a cat with a feather; they can't resist it. I think its more of a bass fly than any other but the larger brim will hit it; the little brim just peck at the spinner. I think the shannon fly will be cloned a thousand times as it open a whole new avenue for tying. The ole boy who first thought it up deserves some recognition, but I don't know who he is.-I did read somewhere he named the fly after his daughter.-p-
Posted By: Salt396

Re: Modifications to the shannon fly - 03/31/16 05:41 PM

I like it! A very cool concept when you need that extra little bit of flash.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum