Texas Fishing Forum

New Ichthyo fly patterns

Posted By: TXST-JAKE

New Ichthyo fly patterns - 09/20/15 10:40 PM

Hello all, this weekend has been full of fly tying in between work and fishing. I have actually only tied 5 all weekend, but found a new skill set I'd never begin to imagine. I have always preferred bait fish patterns while my father and only person I tie with preferred the bugs. I came across some Fish Mask and Fish Skulls, and love them.
Here is an Articulated Mullet pattern I recently finished-

And a blue gill-

Microshad-

And lastly, a threadfin type shad-

I have been praised by the Father and Step mother, but I feel I am getting an Artist over Angler sense of being. I guess we are our own worst critics.

BTW- I could never get the fish skull in the mullet to sit right. The fish masks are great!
Posted By: Zip-ur-Fly

Re: New Inchthyo fly patterns - 09/21/15 12:42 AM

Regarding the fish skull. I'm a big fan. Easier to tie than Clousers. Are you aware the fish skulls have a "keel"? Not sure how you wanted the hook to ride. Could it be you have if on upside down? They need a good "cone" to seat on.
Posted By: TXST-JAKE

Re: New Inchthyo fly patterns - 09/22/15 12:07 AM

@Zip, I was not actually aware. I was never quite sure how to fit it on right and the hook I used wasn't much help, but for whatever reason, I never changed the hook. I have since watched a tutorial and read some more on them. I plan on getting some ready for the salt water soon
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum