Texas Fishing Forum

thread

Posted By: HMK

thread - 07/28/15 07:47 PM

I'm being serious, so don't laugh at me.

When I first started, I bought several different colors of Danville 210. I've been tying everything I make with that thread. Today, I looked up something called Veevus and it seems to be pretty strong flat lying thread. I tie everything I come across that looks interesting, be it a midge, streamer, or crappie jig. I'm wondering if a few different types of thread might be a better fit? What do you guys use?
Posted By: wwest

Re: thread - 07/28/15 08:09 PM

I started out with a pretty heavy thread (Orvis G) for larger warm water bass and saltwater flies. Like you, I tie most of my flies with it. It became such a habit that I have trouble not breaking a lighter thread. Lately, using it first for spinning and stacking deer hair, I have discovered that the Kevlar threads are pretty versatile - small diameter - and by spinning the bobbin they can be made to lie pretty flat as well.

Having said all that, Orvis G, Kevlar, gel spun, clear mono and Danville 210 and up cover 90% of what I tie. Just my thoughts. Hacool
Posted By: wwest

Re: thread - 07/28/15 08:11 PM

Oops. That "Ha" at the end was a typo. Seems I'm a much better tyer than typer.
Posted By: RexW

Re: thread - 07/28/15 08:38 PM

Oh there you go, opening a can of worms aren't you? Some folks take thread discussions very seriously...

But, I'm not one of them. smile

Different thread brands are inconsistent with each other on thread diameter size. In my overly simplified way of thinking, Danville's 210 denier is roughly most other folks 3/0 thread; 140 is everyone else's 6/0,and 70 is 8/0.

As a general statement, the smaller the denier value, then the smaller the diameter of the thread. Smaller threads allow for smaller heads, fly bodies, etc. Depending on the fly pattern, this may or may not be important, but generally the smaller the hook size the smaller the thread will need to be.

I have a tendency to mix thread brands based what I have available or can get. But, 140 (or equivalent) is my general purpose tying thread and I use that size most often. I use 210 for bigger bass and Striper flies, especially when bucktails or deer hair is involved.

I have been using 70 or 8/0 threads more and more often. Especially when I'm tying on size 18 or smaller hooks or when I'm trying to tie a "fancy" fly pattern.

If you've never used anything smaller than 210, it may take you some time to adjust to how much easier it is to break the thinner thread the first time you try it.

Here's an example where using 70 or smaller thread is required to get the thin body and small head. But realistically, how often are we going to tie something like this? I use thicker threads on my bass flies to create a more durable fly.

Posted By: HMK

Re: thread - 07/28/15 10:08 PM

Thanks.

I appreciate everyone. I might order a couple rolls of thinner stuff just to try.
Posted By: hook-line&sinker

Re: thread - 07/29/15 09:23 PM

I can't use the weaker stuff because it always breaks.. but since all I tie is big bass flys it doesn't matter wink
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: thread - 07/30/15 02:51 PM

210 Denier for stacking hair

6/0 for most anything else

8/0 for my dry flies
Posted By: Crazy4oldcars

Re: thread - 07/31/15 11:50 PM

Most of what I use is 140d UTC. When I first started, it seemed like a good compromise, and I kept breaking 70d. mad
I tried somebodies 8/0 one time. I still have all but about 2 feet of it here somewhere. Disaster.
99% of my flies are size 16 to size 12, so 3 wraps of 210d will cover the hook and 5 turns will block the hook gape. laugh
I do have a couple of spools of Danville's Flymaster waxed thread in 210. Works great for tying the few size 6 and 8 streamers I use.

Kirk
Posted By: chefmike

Re: thread - 08/02/15 07:35 PM

I think you guys have pretty much answered the question as for me I try any new thread that hits the market to try it out, I do like the UTC threads in all deniers and have always been a fan of Danvilles 8.0 and 6.0 waxed
The reason I like waxed thread and use it a lot is it helps to hold materials when tying and of course a great help when dubbing bodies

Mike
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum