Texas Fishing Forum

Too hot to mow...

Posted By: RexW

Too hot to mow... - 07/18/15 08:13 PM

I got bored and I had a new squirrel tail...

Here's the result:

Posted By: Zip-ur-Fly

Re: Too hot to mow... - 07/18/15 09:47 PM

Very nice. Makes me want to get out the pellet gun and take a couple of the bird feeders but my wife would be tying my scalp on a hook. banana

Re: Too hot to mow... - 07/18/15 10:33 PM

Thanks, yep, I've eyeing those suckers in the backyard too...

I think round two came out a little better on proportions, but now it's time to go do some work. frown

Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: Too hot to mow... - 07/20/15 02:20 PM

Nice, good job!
Posted By: chefmike

Re: Too hot to mow... - 07/20/15 03:10 PM

Very nice Rex..............got to love those hairwings

Mike

Re: Too hot to mow... - 07/20/15 05:09 PM

Thanks for the comments. I don't have any idea what I'll do with them, but these flies are fun to tie. smile
Posted By: kentuckytroutbum

Re: Too hot to mow... - 07/22/15 03:06 PM

Rex-
Bring them to Cabela's on Weds. night, we'll figure out what to do with them. Haha.

Bill
Posted By: HMK

Re: Too hot to mow... - 07/22/15 05:27 PM

What's going on at Cabelas tonight? The one in Ft. Worth?

Re: Too hot to mow... - 07/22/15 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: HMK
What's going on at Cabelas tonight? The one in Ft. Worth?

The Dallas Fly Fishers tie flies every week on Wed evenings and Sat mornings at the Allen Cabela's. I'm usually there for a little bit each Wed. And Bill is pretty much there every Wed.

Everyone is welcome. Come and join us!

Posted By: HMK

Re: Too hot to mow... - 07/23/15 03:41 AM

Allen is a bit far, but I will try to get off early one Wednesday and come over
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Too hot to mow... - 08/06/15 04:27 AM

Nice baits. Nicely done. thumb

Botham's Fancy - 08/09/15 06:00 PM

Botham's Fancy

Hook: Size 6
Tag: Silver Tinsel
Rib: Oval Silver Tinsel
Body: Green Floss
Throat: Blue Hackle
Wing: Natural Fox Squirrel

The wing is supposed to be black squirrel, but I don't have one and the corporate security guards wouldn't let me catch the one that was outside my office window this week. They must not be fly tiers...
Posted By: Crazy4oldcars

Re: Botham's Fancy - 08/09/15 07:16 PM

Philistines!
Gorgeous fly, even with the "wrong" wing. I would buy a shadow box and tie up enough salmon flies to make a nice display. They would look real good on the wall.

Kirk

Re: Botham's Fancy - 08/10/15 01:58 PM

Thanks Kirk. I agree, I think this style of fly would look good framed too.

I still have some work to do before I'll be willing to frame my flies, but I'm getting closer. The rib slipped on this fly and I didn't realize it until I was cropping the picture (oops!), and the lump on the head came from a mistake with the fingernail polish (the final step is a bad time to make a mistake). A fish wouldn't care about these issues, but I won't want to frame them.

The biggest challenge I see with framing a fly is locating the right style of frame. The ready made shadow box frames are about an inch and half deep and that is a lot of frame for a fly as thin as these things. I know, I could pay someone like Hobby Lobby to frame them, but where's the fun in doing that? smile

My next goal is to learn to change floss color on the body while keeping a thin body. I also want to to start working with multicolored wings. But, I've got to find someone that has some squirrel tails in stock before I can do that. smile
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum