Texas Fishing Forum

Tying Materials

Posted By: TrentonLee

Tying Materials - 04/09/15 02:02 PM

I am new to the addiction of tying as well as fly fishing and wondered if anyone had any suggestions on where the best place to buy materials may be. I am close to Fort Worth and a buddy of mine uses Backwoods off of W 7th. I am also willing to order online if I know I am going to get good stuff. On somewhat of a budget with a little one on the way. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: Tying Materials - 04/09/15 03:48 PM

Don't use BPS they are over priced IMO.

I use Caddis Fly Shop a lot. $25 for free shipping. They have just about everything I ever need.

I buy hooks and beads at Allen Fly Fishing. Hooks are free shipping.

I try to key in on free shipping cause I get a few ideas of flies I want to tie and materials I need and it helps to save $5-8 on shipping when only ordering $30 worth.

Feather Emporium has some really nice feathers. Free Shipping.

Feather Craft is where I go when I need specific things....but shipping is $5.95 or $8.95.

Those shipping charges add up when you make 2-3 orders to get what you need or want that month.
Posted By: TrentonLee

Re: Tying Materials - 04/09/15 04:04 PM

Bass_Bustin_Texan thanks for the helpful info
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: Tying Materials - 04/09/15 04:11 PM

Most companies sell Waspi or Hareline products. After a while you will notice certain brands of certain products you like better.

Also check out Barlow's on Hwy 75. Their hours are short, but they have good stuff. They charge shipping too.
Posted By: Harold Ray

Re: Tying Materials - 04/13/15 02:54 AM

Good quality, large amounts, low prices, good place to buy:

FlyTyersDungeon

Also a good store:

BearsDen

And, another:

J. Stockard

And if you want a good place to learn more about tying:

FlyTyingForum
Posted By: Crazy4oldcars

Re: Tying Materials - 04/14/15 05:11 PM

There is a sticky at the top of the thread list with a lot of good suggestions on it, too.

Kirk
Posted By: Adi64

Re: Tying Materials - 05/05/15 03:37 AM

I'm kinda resurrecting tying myself at the moment so this thread was pretty useful as i'd been looking for a list of suppliers. Been watching the videos on globalflyfisher.com as the last time I did some tying was Blae & Blacks as a kid in Scotland, but its still as rewarding now as it was then. One thing I'd add to the lists is getting hold of some sort of UV light to cure the glue, I recently bought an LED UV flashlight for some other projects around the house and it works a treat for the flies. $15 from a company called TTronik.com which I thought was a good deal as they had free shipping.
Posted By: COFF

Re: Tying Materials - 06/13/15 02:09 AM

If you are on a budget then you picked the wrong hobby. You will go to a shop and start grabbing stuff priced between $1.50 and $3.99. Then you go to the counter and it takes the old man half an hour to ring you up and he smiles and says $500!
Posted By: zulo

Re: Tying Materials - 06/13/15 03:38 PM

banana

Yep..
Posted By: chefmike

Re: Tying Materials - 06/14/15 02:38 PM

So very true COFF...........I have been buying and collecting for 40 years and still think I need products when I see them
Ha Ha.. noidea
Mike
Posted By: John Wayne's Fishing Tackle

Re: Tying Materials - 06/27/15 01:44 AM

Barlows tackle and jans netcraft and shark river online order is good
Posted By: JdDurango

Re: Tying Materials - 07/25/15 03:10 AM

Originally Posted By: TrentonLee
I am new to the addiction of tying as well as fly fishing and wondered if anyone had any suggestions on where the best place to buy materials may be. I am close to Fort Worth and a buddy of mine uses Backwoods off of W 7th. I am also willing to order online if I know I am going to get good stuff. On somewhat of a budget with a little one on the way. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in FW and use Backwoods, Cabelas or BassPro. If they don't have what I'm looking for I go online to JStockard....JS has everything.
Posted By: HMK

Re: Tying Materials - 07/26/15 02:59 AM

http://waterswest.com
Posted By: Bowfin47

Re: Tying Materials - 07/27/15 01:37 PM

Tungsten beads supplier: http://flyfisharkansas.com/flyshop/?page_id=13

This is Jimmy Traylor's shop in Bull Shoals, Ark.

I've been purchasing tungsten beads from Jimmy for years.

He's a good guy and his tungsten prices are great!

Bowfin47
Posted By: HMK

Re: Tying Materials - 07/28/15 04:37 PM

JStockard has 20% off Daiichii hooks right now. I've never used those hooks, but might try a pack or 2.

http://m-jsflyfishing.upshotcommerce.com...tm_medium=email

They also have the Danvise for less than 80 bucks
Posted By: Bob9

Re: Tying Materials - 07/28/15 05:31 PM

I like my DanVise. Just wish they made an extension for lefties.
Posted By: Crazy4oldcars

Re: Tying Materials - 07/31/15 11:40 PM

I've used the Daiichii hooks a few times. Never had any problems with them.
I have had a few issues with house brand hooks from GCO (Green Caddis Outfitters). Their tempering is kinda hit and miss. Had a few hooks I could tie in a knot. Maybe 4 hooks out of 100 used.

Kirk
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum