Texas Fishing Forum

Hook Design Reference??

Posted By: RexW

Hook Design Reference?? - 03/23/15 01:37 PM

Anyone know a good link, book, or other reference material that discusses hook design?

I'm not looking for a cross reference that compares different manufacturer's hook models to someone else's model numbers.

What I'm looking for more of a technical discussion on actual hook shapes and designs. For example, what are the Pro's and Con's of up turned eyes vs. down turned eyes vs. straight eyes. Or the Pro's and Con's of different bend shapes. Etc.

I don't think I've ever run across anything more than just a few passing comments about hook design.

Does anyone know of a good source of information about hook design? hmmm
Posted By: HMK

Re: Hook Design Reference?? - 03/23/15 04:15 PM

I don't, but I've been wondering about this topic as well. I get confused on all the hook types. I usually write down what style of hook is used when I'm trying to ty something from you tube, but who knows if the person doing the video knows why they used that particular hook. If you find any information, please pass it my way. It would be greatly appreciated!
Posted By: George Glazener

Re: Hook Design Reference?? - 03/24/15 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: RexW

Anyone know a good link, book, or other reference material that discusses hook design?

I'm not looking for a cross reference that compares different manufacturer's hook models to someone else's model numbers.

What I'm looking for more of a technical discussion on actual hook shapes and designs. For example, what are the Pro's and Con's of up turned eyes vs. down turned eyes vs. straight eyes. Or the Pro's and Con's of different bend shapes. Etc.

I don't think I've ever run across anything more than just a few passing comments about hook design.

Does anyone know of a good source of information about hook design? hmmm

Rex, hope this old link will be helpful.
George

http://midcurrent.com/flies/hooks-the-jig-is-up/
Posted By: RexW

Re: Hook Design Reference?? - 03/26/15 01:34 PM

Thanks George! The 60 degree hooks are pretty much the only hook design that I can find data about, including some of the studies that you have done. But I have not been able to find anything similar for other hook designs.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum