Texas Fishing Forum

Small variation to a proven favorite

Posted By: texoma1231

Small variation to a proven favorite - 04/10/18 07:10 PM

Fly fishing for stripers on Lake Texoma is just around the corner!! All versions of the Clouser are know to be good producing flys.

Tight Lines
Posted By: Dipson

Re: Small variation to a proven favorite - 04/10/18 10:35 PM

I don't have much experience fly fishing for stripers on texoma, do most people use clousers? I assume fly fishing the top water action from a boat? Do you use sinking line? Intermediate line? Floating line? Soooo many questions!
Posted By: texoma1231

Re: Small variation to a proven favorite - 04/11/18 02:23 PM

There are a lot of opinions on "what is the best fly" for stripers and I am only one person. Actually, I think that the size of the fly is probably more important than the style. What ever size bait they are chasing, I would try to use that size fly and yes clousers generally always work. White or any combination with white. If I only had one rod I would use a floating line and control the depth with the weight of the fly. With that set up you can change to a top water if the fish are feeding on top. There are plenty of places to fish from the bank for stripers. Start at the dam and go west from the boat ramp is usually a good area. Timing is important also so I would be there so that I could fish at first light. Eisenhower State Park also has some areas to fish from the bank. Get there early and you will have more success.

Tight Lines
Posted By: karstopo

Re: Small variation to a proven favorite - 04/11/18 02:59 PM

Looks good. Reminds me of a Crazy Charlie. I know of no good stripers hangouts around here, although people do occasionally pull one in from the saltwater locally. There have to be a few that find there way down the Brazos river to the tidal zone.

Used to fish for them in the northeast. They really school up and it would get fast and furious at times. I would love to get one on the fly.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum