Texas Fishing Forum

have a question to get insurances on my bass baot?

Posted By: sexyshad2

have a question to get insurances on my bass baot? - 10/21/11 06:11 PM

ive been told by many u have to have insurances on a boat and then some people say its up to u so is it?

Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: have a question to get insurances on my bass baot? - 10/21/11 06:16 PM

Not sure. I fish tournaments and they require it but I would have it anyways, it's really not all that expensive.

Posted By: militarybrat

Re: have a question to get insurances on my bass baot? - 10/31/11 04:31 PM

It is up to you that said if a person is injured while on your boat you are responsible. A broken leg or arm requiring surgery ER visit can cost upwards of $20,000.00. It's best to be insured not required. Make sure you insure your boat for replacement value which would include motor and trailer. Now here is the thing I personally won't claim anything under $3,500.00 as 2 claims in a 2 year period will result in your policy being canceled. One example would be lower unit damage out of pocket no claim.

Posted By: WintersAllstate

Re: have a question to get insurances on my bass baot? - 11/14/11 04:17 PM

Shad, In texas you are not required to carry insurance on your boat by the state. That being said if their is a lien on your boat or a note that you pay monthly the lender will require that you carry full coverage on the boat in the case of a loss. I would look into it if I was you though it is not that expensive and if you insure it where you insure your autos and home it may come in at pretty much free with the discounts that you will recieve on the other policy's

If you need any help with this or have questions you can hit me up.

Josh

Posted By: fishintexas123

Re: have a question to get insurances on my bass baot? - 02/27/12 08:11 PM

not sure where militarybrat got info,,but its not true on most insurance,,I have farm bureau and had lower unit replaced and had a claim for theft and someone hit my trailor at ramp and took off,,3 claims in 9 months,,not even a raise in rates.

Posted By: N.G.

Re: have a question to get insurances on my bass baot? - 03/06/12 05:04 AM

Every insurance company has diffrent "feelings" regarding how many times you claim during a policy period. The poster that mentioned 2 claims in 2 years would get you dropped: this could be true with his policy. Sounds like Farm B has a lower adversion to claims. I am in the insurance industry and I deal with many insurance companies. You can normally ask the agent or broker about the insurance company's claim guidlines before you buy a policy. In regards to the OP, a boat policy is normally very cheap in comparison to auto. I would advise 300k in all of your liability limits. In thinking about "full coverage", choose a deduct that you can live with. Make sure u know what the internal limit is for unattached equip.

Re: have a question to get insurances on my bass baot? - 03/07/12 02:09 PM

another bit of info some may not know,,,,you can tie your homeowners liability to your boat,,cost me 25.00 a year to do this, which gives me 500.000 liability,,just paid my boat prem. yesterday...one year,,,245.00 covers boat for 6000.00 (99 ranger 518) 8,000 on motor (99 opti 200) 1500 on trailer,,,plus the 500,000 liability...2 trucks,,two cars and house with farm bureau and boat,,,,and its 1300.00 a year less than I was paying with state farm, after being with sf for over 20 years. never had a problem with claims at state farm,,but after 20+ years 1300.00 a year was too much.

Posted By: worm007

Re: have a question to get insurances on my bass baot? - 03/08/12 03:08 AM

AAIAftworth.com has germania, they will blow the doors off farm bureau!

Re: have a question to get insurances on my bass baot? - 03/09/12 01:45 PM

just got quote from germania,,(was curious) they were 600.00 a year more than farm bureau...so my doors are still on...sorry but you were WRONG!

Posted By: Scott A.

Re: have a question to get insurances on my bass baot? - 04/03/12 11:52 PM

Farm Bureau Rocks!!

Posted By: Lochsley123

Re: have a question to get insurances on my bass baot? - 04/05/12 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: fishintexas123
just got quote from germania,,(was curious) they were 600.00 a year more than farm bureau...so my doors are still on...sorry but you were WRONG!

Give me a call our boat insurance is hard to beat thumb

Posted By: SWAC

Re: have a question to get insurances on my bass baot? - 04/29/12 02:38 AM

You can't register your boat or trailer without evidence of insurance.

Posted By: mehall1087

Re: have a question to get insurances on my bass baot? - 05/07/12 06:24 PM

did you find some?

Posted By: racerx15

Re: have a question to get insurances on my bass baot? - 05/09/12 01:45 PM

Just registered my boat and motor at TP&W and they didnt ask for insurance

Posted By: Toxarch

Re: have a question to get insurances on my bass baot? - 05/10/12 06:51 AM

I registered my boat and trailer without insurance. After it was registered, I got liability coverage on the boat. I would hate for someone to get hurt on the boat and have to sue me to cover their bills.

Posted By: RConner

Re: have a question to get insurances on my bass baot? - 06/16/12 08:17 PM

No insurance required in Texas.

Posted By: jrk54

Re: have a question to get insurances on my bass baot? - 07/03/12 05:57 AM

I assumed any boat with a motor and tx# would need insurance in case they hit another boat or person and caused damage or injury.

Posted By: chevy5099

Re: have a question to get insurances on my bass baot? - 07/31/12 07:49 PM

if your boat is to old do not get insur. You will pay more in the bill every year if they boat is trashed. Just get lib..in case you hit someone in a boat. Just my view.
They told me my boat is to old and they will not give me anything for it.

Posted By: fouzman

Re: have a question to get insurances on my bass baot? - 08/01/12 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By: SWAC
You can't register your boat or trailer without evidence of insurance.

Wrong!

Re: have a question to get insurances on my bass baot? - 08/01/12 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By: SnyderSkeeterman
No insurance required in Texas.

If you own the boat free and clear. If you are financing, you will be required to carry full coverage until the note is paid off.

Re: have a question to get insurances on my bass baot? - 08/01/12 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: militarybrat
It is up to you that said if a person is injured while on your boat you are responsible. A broken leg or arm requiring surgery ER visit can cost upwards of $20,000.00. It's best to be insured not required. Make sure you insure your boat for replacement value which would include motor and trailer. Now here is the thing I personally won't claim anything under $3,500.00 as 2 claims in a 2 year period will result in your policy being canceled. One example would be lower unit damage out of pocket no claim.

Do NOT insure your boat for "replacement value." You will get screwed every time. Insure your boat for an "Agreed Value."

All of this I learned from Bob Luellen at Worldwide Marine Insurance Underwriters.

Sounds like some of ya'll need to get educated on your coverages.

Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: have a question to get insurances on my bass baot? - 08/30/12 01:42 AM

Intresting reading.....learned some things........I am a firm believer in having a rig insured. You never know what you will face when you are on the water or the highway.....It is required for almost any bass tournament to be insured and most have a minimum liability requirement of $100k if I remember right, though that may have gone up since my tournament days.......I think you can get just a liability policy if your boat isn't worth much. I think the first policy I bought was from and independent agent and that is all I got so I could fish a bass tournament circuit out of a cheap boat. The policy was really cheap....I want to say under $100 for a year, again a long time ago so that all may have changed......
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum