Texas Fishing Forum

Weedless jighead modification

Posted By: REDGUN

Weedless jighead modification - 03/30/17 02:29 PM

I have the Do-It weedless jighead mold. I have made/used these heads for around two years. I like them, but they are a pain to paint. I never use the lead barb and always had to cut it off (making it take longer to make these, and a little lighter).

Had a friend ask me to make him some Wacky Heads, so I bought the mold & weedguards. After seeing the wire weedguards used in this mold, I thought they would work great on crappie jigs also.

I got out the dremel tool and did a little tinkering. Haven't used these yet, but I think they will be GREAT!! These weigh a true 1/16 and 1/8 also. thumb

Re: Weedless jighead modification - 03/31/17 12:27 PM

AT the request of a forum member, I tried this modification on a 1/32 head mold last night. thumb

1/32 x #4 sickle hook

Posted By: Skip_48

Re: Weedless jighead modification - 03/31/17 04:04 PM

They look really cool! Hey I have a guy that does my heads and I think over our years of talking think he has some that he makes without the collar and some way blocks the lead from adding it when he pours?? Not sure how he blocks the lead from pouring that collar or that I even right about this, but will check again to see if that is correct.

Skip

Re: Weedless jighead modification - 04/02/17 05:32 PM

Skip, you can fill in the barb area with JB Weld material (I have done that on other molds), but these particular heads would end up lighter than listed.

This style weedguard is much easier to paint AND weighs correctly. thumb
Posted By: C Worthy

Re: Weedless jighead modification - 04/02/17 06:05 PM

I know the ones that I got from Redgun, I absolutely love. My absolute go to jighead from now on.
Posted By: Skip_48

Re: Weedless jighead modification - 04/03/17 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: REDGUN
Skip, you can fill in the barb area with JB Weld material (I have done that on other molds), but these particular heads would end up lighter than listed.

This style weedguard is much easier to paint AND weighs correctly. thumb

Thank you! Maybe that is what he did on the ones I got, just not sure. Will have to ask him if I can remember, lol!

Skip

Re: Weedless jighead modification - 04/05/17 12:50 PM

Modified my coil keeper mold last night....

Posted By: doogan

Re: Weedless jighead modification - 04/07/17 07:55 PM

Redgun, I sent you a PM.
Posted By: Naggler

Re: Weedless jighead modification - 04/29/17 03:12 PM

That coil keeper looks like the ultimate jig preserver! Nice work sir! thumb

Re: Weedless jighead modification - 04/29/17 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Naggler
That coil keeper looks like the ultimate jig preserver! Nice work sir! thumb

Do-It offer's/makes the mold that uses the coil keeper, I just added the weedguard.

And YES, they will make a soft plastic bait last a LOOONNNNGG time. wink This one caught somewhere between 100 and 150 crappie, before a brushpile finally stole it. Bait was looking rough, but it was still hanging on.

Posted By: CrappieHappy

Re: Weedless jighead modification - 05/10/17 03:49 PM

looking good, Mark... cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum