Texas Fishing Forum

Here's a few

Posted By: Cowboytex

Here's a few - 05/19/16 03:17 PM

I tied up a couple last night after I went fishing and lost some. I got some new colors and different size chenille in from CA yesterday. I wish I knew that I liked the bigger crystal chenille before I bought all the small size 3 stuff originally. It's so small I was having to double wrap it and then having problems with it coming undone after a few fish. I was going for "refrigerator white" on the middle ones but the fl yellow I ordered isn't as bright as I had hoped. Prolly should have went with regular yellow. Also my chartreuse is a different green this time but will still be fine. Actually might like it better, haven't decided yet.

I tied these up a couple nights ago just bored trying to come up with some new combos

The top one is my pepop knock off. It's all the fish wanted yesterday in 1/16 oz

I've been making my tails longer for more action and the fish have really seemed to like them, I've been doing pretty good. Every fish this year has come off my hand ties banana. Have even caught some sandies and small hybrids on them just goofing around. Any suggestions or criticism is welcome. Always willing to learn new stuff thumb
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Here's a few - 05/19/16 03:29 PM

They look great! The best advice is to keep tying. You will continue to improve the longer you do it. As far as the chenile coming apart, you need to make sure that you whip finish it good and tight before you cut off the excess and then use some head cement. I put my head cement all the way around the head of the jig. I have not had one come apart since I started doing this.

Re: Here's a few - 05/19/16 03:54 PM

They weren't coming apart at the head. I guess it was actually a triple wrap. I would tie in at the head, wrap with thread back to tail, run thread back to head, wrap chenille to head, back to tail, then back to head. Whip finish and cement. This was to get the full body I wanted. Chenille was unraveling at the tail. That is the only time I've had issues with jigs coming apart. I could probably use some cement under the chenille or at least at the base of the tail to resolve the issue but a bigger chenille is a better fix. Here's a pic. It's #3 Crystal (tiny) on a 1/8 oz head. (Also this combo has done excellent on Palestine for me)
I can post a pic of it after it came apart tonight when I get home if I didn't explain it very well.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Here's a few - 05/19/16 03:58 PM

Nice jigs. Good job. thumb
Posted By: REDGUN

Re: Here's a few - 05/19/16 04:26 PM

Great looking jigs!!

I vote that you save the #3 stuff for smaller jigs and get some #10 size stuff to make your "fuller" jigs. thumb
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Here's a few - 05/19/16 04:41 PM

If you have some yarn, use that for the build up before the chenille. You can use clear finger nail polish on the yarn to hold it then chenille over top before it dries. Or apply about 4-5 whip finishes around the back end of the chenille and a drop of head cement. But I'd save the small stuff for the smaller jigs unless you have an abundance.
Posted By: Skip_48

Re: Here's a few - 05/19/16 04:54 PM

Jigs looks fine, but I have some FL Yellow hackle that is brighter! I also have the big Crystal and a lot of custom mix colors too.

Skip

Re: Here's a few - 05/19/16 04:56 PM

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
If you have some yarn, use that for the build up before the chenille. You can use clear finger nail polish on the yarn to hold it then chenille over top before it dries. Or apply about 4-5 whip finishes around the back end of the chenille and a drop of head cement. But I'd save the small stuff for the smaller jigs unless you have an abundance.

Thanks for that Ken, I will try it out!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum