Texas Fishing Forum

Sickle hooks

Posted By: SK.

Sickle hooks - 02/15/16 05:26 PM

I must say after hooking into that estimated 5lb bucket mouth this w-end not that I was fishn for bass but I'm very pleased with the black nickel sickle hooks I purchased from nekidtackle, I only give props where they are due & have been in search of a good sickle that holds it's form & have found it with his hooks....
I didn't get into the pound & aahhh halfers that I usually get into but did flip several pound crappie in the boat without any problems.....
These jigs hold powder paint a lot better than the jigs I've been purchasing for some reason, dint have any paint chip on the heads although I dint hit any concrete with them yet...
Great jigs...he's a member here if'n you so happen to want to get some....
Posted By: moonriver

Re: Sickle hooks - 02/24/16 01:08 AM

thumb
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Sickle hooks - 02/24/16 02:02 AM

Ron produces some quality products for sure!
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: Sickle hooks - 03/02/16 01:01 AM

Black Nickle is my favorite also... And, do you cure your jigs after powder painting? It helps with the chipping.

Re: Sickle hooks - 03/02/16 02:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Jig Man
Black Nickle is my favorite also... And, do you cure your jigs after powder painting? It helps with the chipping.

Yes JM I use a toaster oven to bake them 250° for 15 minutes....
Posted By: Skip_48

Re: Sickle hooks - 03/02/16 06:53 PM

I cure mine in a toaster oven that I found out where I needed to set it so the temps would be between 1392 and 400 degrees and I do them for 15 minutes, I also don't count the time it take this oven to get to temp either as that is an additional 2 min if you put them in cold like I do.

These temps is also what CSI (Pro Tec) recommends for most of the color they sell. I think the only color I do at less temp is Pearl White and it's way different!

Skip
Posted By: NekidTackle

Re: Sickle hooks - 03/02/16 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By: SK.
I must say after hooking into that estimated 5lb bucket mouth this w-end not that I was fishn for bass but I'm very pleased with the black nickel sickle hooks I purchased from nekidtackle, I only give props where they are due & have been in search of a good sickle that holds it's form & have found it with his hooks....
I didn't get into the pound & aahhh halfers that I usually get into but did flip several pound crappie in the boat without any problems.....
These jigs hold powder paint a lot better than the jigs I've been purchasing for some reason, dint have any paint chip on the heads although I dint hit any concrete with them yet...
Great jigs...he's a member here if'n you so happen to want to get some....

Thanks!
Yes i am very pleased with the black nickle Jig hooks I receive from my supplier.
I am amazed at the strength vs the Bronze hooks.
Again Thanks!
Ron

Re: Sickle hooks - 03/03/16 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Skip_48
I cure mine in a toaster oven that I found out where I needed to set it so the temps would be between 1392 and 400 degrees and I do them for 15 minutes, I also don't count the time it take this oven to get to temp either as that is an additional 2 min if you put them in cold like I do.

These temps is also what CSI (Pro Tec) recommends for most of the color they sell. I think the only color I do at less temp is Pearl White and it's way different!

Skip

Thanks Skip........ I'll boost my temp up....
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: Sickle hooks - 03/03/16 01:05 PM

Yep, I cure most everything at 350 for 30 minutes... Usually loose them before the paint chips. Still haven't tried the lil nasties yet, but maybe someday!
Posted By: AggieKenny

Re: Sickle hooks - 03/03/16 02:00 PM

Yep, I cure most everything at 350 for 30 minutes... Usually loose them before the paint chips. Still haven't tried the lil nasties yet, but maybe someday!

The lil nasties are okay, they are not as sharp as Matzuo though.

Re: Sickle hooks - 03/03/16 04:32 PM

Hey guys on the temps let me give you some more info. First let me say I put a thermometer in the toaster oven to find out where I had to set it to reach these temps so I had sort of an accurate temp. Next know this, the longer you heat cure the darker the paint will get so the long times may hurt your color and more so on some than others. Also let me tell you this, if you like Flame Red as I do you have to do this one right or the color will turn to crud!!! This paint should come out bright and slightly to the Orange side, but not as Orange as Blaze Orange.

Here is a post I made at another board and let me say I used CSI's info to post these. I also found for me the note at the bottom was not good enough for me. The 10 minutes for me was not enough! I still go be their previous info which has changed 3 or more time since I started using their paint! SO I went back to before when I did the 15 minute thing. You also need to realize their times and temps are based on the lead temp in the oven and why I add 2 minutes to allow the heat up so I use 17 minutes on all mine except for the Pearl White and that is 15 minutes at 325 degrees!

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/jig-tying-lure-making-forum/56350-csi-cure-temps-time/

Hope this helps,

Skip

PS your right AggieKenny! them Nasties are not as sharp, but I also had a whisper that maybe another company will come out with a Sickle style hook and just use another name.
Posted By: have_rod_reel_travel

Re: Sickle hooks - 03/03/16 08:16 PM

I like the bronze, I want my hook to bend so I can get my jig back... When I was using black nickel sickles I had way too many hand tied jigs bodies with no hook...
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Sickle hooks - 03/04/16 05:20 AM

Originally Posted By: have_rod_reel_travel
I like the bronze, I want my hook to bend so I can get my jig back... When I was using black nickel sickles I had way too many hand tied jigs bodies with no hook...

Been there done that...loving bronze sickles...

Re: Sickle hooks - 03/04/16 02:41 PM

For me they love too straighten out on hook sets also which is no bueno....
I hate using a net unless absolutely necessary & I can't count how many fish I've gotten to the top & loose it due to that hook...I was right at not using sickle hooks anymore.....

Re: Sickle hooks - 03/04/16 02:47 PM

Hey guys on the temps let me give you some more info. First let me say I put a thermometer in the toaster oven to find out where I had to set it to reach these temps so I had sort of an accurate temp. Next know this, the longer you heat cure the darker the paint will get so the long times may hurt your color and more so on some than others. Also let me tell you this, if you like Flame Red as I do you have to do this one right or the color will turn to crud!!! This paint should come out bright and slightly to the Orange side, but not as Orange as Blaze Orange.

Here is a post I made at another board and let me say I used CSI's info to post these. I also found for me the note at the bottom was not good enough for me. The 10 minutes for me was not enough! I still go be their previous info which has changed 3 or more time since I started using their paint! SO I went back to before when I did the 15 minute thing. You also need to realize their times and temps are based on the lead temp in the oven and why I add 2 minutes to allow the heat up so I use 17 minutes on all mine except for the Pearl White and that is 15 minutes at 325 degrees!

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/jig-tying-lure-making-forum/56350-csi-cure-temps-time/

Hope this helps,

Skip

PS your right AggieKenny! them Nasties are not as sharp, but I also had a whisper that maybe another company will come out with a Sickle style hook and just use another name.

Thanks for that info Skip....
Will these times & temp work if the colors have been clear coated?

Re: Sickle hooks - 03/04/16 04:22 PM

Hope this helps,

Skip

Thanks for that info Skip....
Will these times & temp work if the colors have been clear coated?

Yes I do some that I add a clear with sparkles and still all is good. I have never had one come out bad due to these heats. I do think if I go even one minute too long on Flame Red is will look really bad! Other don't seem to be as sensitive, but also knowing too the longer in the oven the darker the paint color will be I don't tread on longer times. Also the Pearl White is very nice color, but the temps are very different and I do the 325 degrees on them. Also like I said I use that old taster oven and I have figured it takes the 2 minutes to heat up to 390 so I use 17 minutes as my time on all other paints. So many other paint sellers use 400 degrees for their temps so I don't see anything that will hurt this and I have used these for many years now and all is good!
Like that Illusion Paint, the base cost they say use 400 degrees for 20 minutes and then after that cools you add the candy color and cure again! So the illusion paint for me ends up with 37 total minutes in the oven, LOL!

Skip
Posted By: larry mays

Re: Sickle hooks - 03/04/16 09:17 PM

Skip, I am with Candy Pink on all most all of my jigs now and to get the best look on them you have it the only way I have found to work. A lot of trouble but they sure look good.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Sickle hooks - 03/10/16 02:18 AM

For me they love too straighten out on hook sets also which is no bueno....
I hate using a net unless absolutely necessary & I can't count how many fish I've gotten to the top & loose it due to that hook...I was right at not using sickle hooks anymore.....

Let me give you some insight...Bonehead rods, Shimano reels, bronze sickle hooks....throw away the net and just hoist them right into the boat...I can do that with a 10 lb carp foul hooked in the tail...no lost fish...Personally, I would suggest you are dropping your rod tip on a bigger fish which allows them to shake the hook or your rod is to limber (or both)...hope this helps...but it is not the hook that is the problem...I will be happy to let you fish one of my boneheads set up as above and let you experience the difference in your catch ratio...
Posted By: SlabHappy

Re: Sickle hooks - 03/11/16 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: crapicat

Been there done that...loving bronze sickles...

I fished a whole day and wondering why I kept missing fish, only to find out when I left, that I had no hook.

Re: Sickle hooks - 03/11/16 10:05 PM

I really hate to tell you bronze sickle lovers, bronze was the first color sickle to have an issue with breaking. I even broke some tying, LOL! It was much later the Black sickle had their issue. It's all the heat treat and if the mess that up it will not matter the color!

Skip
Posted By: Sandwich Maker

Re: Sickle hooks - 03/12/16 12:13 AM

Originally Posted By: AggieKenny

The lil nasties are okay, they are not as sharp as Matzuo though.

Yessir! thumb thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum