Texas Fishing Forum

Gold paint

Posted By: ACAMS

Gold paint - 11/07/15 07:30 PM

I bought some Pro-Tec gold paint so I could have some pretty gold jigs like you guys have.

My fluid bed looked good and bubbled nice, but the paint went on way too thick and dull, so I thinned it with about 75/25 clear.

It did better, but still not shiny .... what do I need to try next?

Posted By: jasoniam

Re: Gold paint - 11/07/15 08:58 PM

I might try a sparkle clear coat in a white glitter or something just to make it pop and that might solve the dullness!!! Rookie answer though lol!!
Posted By: Skip_48

Re: Gold paint - 11/07/15 09:48 PM

I have a pound of that Gold paint and just don't care for it. There is a Transparent Gold that I have that I like better, but nothing beats Gokd Plated heads. I have held on to a good many of them I 1/32, 1/16 & 1/8 and even Roadrunner heads. Kind of wish that I had got some others as well!

That is the only great Gold ones IMHO!

PS if you end up liking that paint you could buy my pound pretty cheap!

Skip
Posted By: Tommie

Re: Gold paint - 11/07/15 09:51 PM

Get you some Disco Gold.
Posted By: fe1

Re: Gold paint - 11/07/15 09:56 PM

+1
Originally Posted By: Tommie
Get you some Disco Gold.
Posted By: larry mays

Re: Gold paint - 11/07/15 10:48 PM

I am no pro at painting but you might try getting the head a little hotter to see. On the metallic colors it does sometime help.
Posted By: pepop

Re: Gold paint - 11/08/15 08:19 AM

Originally Posted By: fe1
+1
Get you some Disco Gold.

It does SPARKLE!!

Re: Gold paint - 11/08/15 08:25 AM

Originally Posted By: larry mays
I am no pro at painting but you might try getting the head a little hotter to see. On the metallic colors it does sometime help.

Larry, you know that with most powder paint when you heat the head too much the powder seems to "collect" and you end up with too much, but I found that like you said, with metallic powders (gold, silver, copper etc) and especially the metallic vein powder's, a little hotter than usual head helps the powder to flow and really does give a better shine. Thanks for that reminder! I had about forgotten.

Re: Gold paint - 11/08/15 02:58 PM

Top left is the Transparent Gold and you can even add some Gold Holo glitter!

Still the real Gold Plated is best!

Re: Gold paint - 11/08/15 06:52 PM

Here you'll see Rosey's Sun Gold Metallic & Columbia Coating's Metallic Gold. Both have a bit of a "glimmer" to them!

Re: Gold paint - 11/08/15 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: larry mays

Actually, it did better not quite so hot .... but still went on too thick and dull.

Originally Posted By: pepop
Here you'll see Rosey's Sun Gold Metallic & Columbia Coating's Metallic Gold. Both have a bit of a "glimmer" to them!

I do like that Sun Gold Metallic!

THANKS!!!

Re: Gold paint - 11/08/15 08:40 PM

I like them all Pepop, but wish I had the gold vein in Hot pink and baby blue. For real the gold vein fits lots of jigs and I like.

Re: Gold paint - 11/08/15 08:49 PM

ACAMS, I have the same thing with a lot of white paint and the best thing is just get some more and try again. The ones Pepop and Skip has I think would do it. But you have nothing to lose adding more clear except you may have more paint you don't like. luck

Re: Gold paint - 11/11/15 05:23 PM

I was thinking I may try more clear .... can't hurt anything, except waste clear!
Posted By: BigDave1

Re: Gold paint - 11/12/15 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Skip_48
Top left is the Transparent Gold and you can even add some Gold Holo glitter!

Still the real Gold Plated is best!

Lawdy those colors do get yer attention! smile
Posted By: machinist

Re: Gold paint - 11/15/15 08:43 PM

Ok I have a couple of questions. Where do you get the gold plated heads or can you get one of those
cheap plating kits and do them yourself? I looked on Rosey's website and can't find the paint Pepop
shows. Where do you buy the disco gold that is mentioned?

Johnny
Posted By: Magged Out

Re: Gold paint - 11/15/15 09:11 PM

Get you some Disco Gold.

This
Posted By: Tommie

Re: Gold paint - 11/15/15 10:00 PM

You can get Disco Gold at TJ's Tackle or Do-It Molds.

Re: Gold paint - 11/16/15 01:25 AM

The Gold plated heads Crazy Angler use to have them and I have not looked lately, but he may still sell them, I am unsure!

Skip

Re: Gold paint - 11/16/15 04:07 PM

If this is real gold, I wonder if my wife will miss some of her jewelry?

Re: Gold paint - 11/16/15 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: ACAMS
If this is real gold, I wonder if my wife will miss some of her jewelry?

It is real gold, LOL! I had same question a few years back! I also have a good many of the Nickle Plated heads, but have not sure either in a while. The Gold plated heads sure make a difference when you paint them with a candy color!

Skip
Posted By: Dan_n_Texas

Re: Gold paint - 11/17/15 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: machinist
Ok I have a couple of questions. Where do you get the gold plated heads or can you get one of those
cheap plating kits and do them yourself? I looked on Rosey's website and can't find the paint Pepop
shows. Where do you buy the disco gold that is mentioned?

Johnny

I had the same issue. I painted the head white first, then sprayed the gold and it made them brighter.

Re: Gold paint - 11/18/15 12:14 AM

You are sure right Skip on the plated hooks, but I am not sure of a good place to find them. And Dan, on all of the top jigs I have tied for other people over the years I always use a base coat and white does work best.

Re: Gold paint - 11/18/15 01:26 AM

Larry I don't know if he still has then or not, by Crazy Angler use to have the plated heads.
Skip

Re: Gold paint - 11/18/15 03:22 PM

Robert does have some nickel plated I think walleye hooks but have not seen any thing of late silver or gold, He may have some off site. But for the guy's still some what new at this from now till about Feb. 2016 all of the stores will have close outs sales. Up north most people don't fish in winter so they have sale off to keep going. also most places have those black Friday type sales on gear to fish and stuff to stay warm.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum