Texas Fishing Forum

My Interpretation of One of my Favorite Lures ~~ the Black and Yellow H&H

Posted By: Dan_n_Texas

My Interpretation of One of my Favorite Lures ~~ the Black and Yellow H&H - 08/14/15 02:32 PM

One of my favorite lures in years past was the black and yellow H&H spinnerbait. It always caught fish. Here my jig design interpretation of it.

Posted By: Bruce's

Re: My Interpretation of One of my Favorite Lures ~~ the Black and Yellow H&H - 08/14/15 02:58 PM

That brings back many memories. When the kids were young
Posted By: larry mays

Re: My Interpretation of One of my Favorite Lures ~~ the Black and Yellow H&H - 08/14/15 04:35 PM

That jig will fish, been using it for 40 years and still what stays on my first reel every day.
Posted By: Skip_48

Re: My Interpretation of One of my Favorite Lures ~~ the Black and Yellow H&H - 08/14/15 04:47 PM

Use a ton of the old H&H spinners when I was a kid. Caught a ton of fish on them too!

Skip

Re: My Interpretation of One of my Favorite Lures ~~ the Black and Yellow H&H - 08/15/15 08:38 AM

Had to ask my ex of many years and she said more like 50 years ago but what I was trying to build a catalpa worm when I came up with this color. Well it still works on the lakes I fish.

Re: My Interpretation of One of my Favorite Lures ~~ the Black and Yellow H&H - 08/15/15 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: larry mays
Had to ask my ex of many years and she said more like 50 years ago but what I was trying to build a catalpa worm when I came up with this color. Well it still works on the lakes I fish.

I don't see a Pic? Did you mean to post one? Also why couldn't you just use this kind of tie on the body to make a good catalpa? Here is a Picture of a weave I did a few years ago. Just leave collar off and tie rest how you want?

Skip

Re: My Interpretation of One of my Favorite Lures ~~ the Black and Yellow H&H - 08/15/15 05:51 PM

Skip, 50 years ago we did not have stuff to tie. Things were if you wanted it you made it. Now I do a lot of jigs that could have been years ago but now have marks-a-lot to get it looking nice. That is a very nice jig you posted there. I would do that without hackle. My hands will no longer do any weave, I love it but just get it tight.

Re: My Interpretation of One of my Favorite Lures ~~ the Black and Yellow H&H - 08/15/15 07:04 PM

Hey it's not very hard for this one, but I do not know your hands either though. Anyway here is the info on how to do the Granny Weave. Sorry to know your hands are that bad.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/advanced/part4.php

Skip

Re: My Interpretation of One of my Favorite Lures ~~ the Black and Yellow H&H - 08/15/15 08:16 PM

I know how to weave, but it is something that I never needed and do not do. If you reread the post above I am talking about a color and you are talking about a jig. Your jig is very nice. But the ones above are simple crappie jigs.
Posted By: Dan_n_Texas

Re: My Interpretation of One of my Favorite Lures ~~ the Black and Yellow H&H - 08/16/15 12:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Skip_48
[quote=larry mays]Had to ask my ex of many years and she said more like 50 years ago but what I was trying to build a catalpa worm when I came up with this color. Well it still works on the lakes I fish.

I don't see a Pic? Did you mean to post one? Also why couldn't you just use this kind of tie on the body to make a good catalpa? Here is a Picture of a weave I did a few years ago. Just leave collar off and tie rest how you want?

Skip

[size:14pt][i]That is a gorgeous jig.
Posted By: Sandwich Maker

Re: My Interpretation of One of my Favorite Lures ~~ the Black and Yellow H&H - 08/18/15 09:29 PM

Back to original post/picture....years ago if you went into a Gibson's Discount Store or stopped at a local bait shop your choices in crappie jigs were pretty limited. White, Chartruese, and usually Black and Yellow. The old black and yellow kind of got lost in the mix as jigs became more popular and all the new colors came out. I started back tying some yellow/black/yellow a few years back and can tell you they are still catching more than their share of crappie.

Good job on your tying. They will work well for you.

Re: My Interpretation of One of my Favorite Lures ~~ the Black and Yellow H&H - 08/19/15 02:53 PM

I think the other store besides Gilson's was Howard's. Both were the first to bring in big displaces of fishing stuff. It was some place to go.

Re: My Interpretation of One of my Favorite Lures ~~ the Black and Yellow H&H - 08/19/15 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Sandwich Maker
Back to original post/picture....years ago if you went into a Gibson's Discount Store or stopped at a local bait shop your choices in crappie jigs were pretty limited. White, Chartruese, and usually Black and Yellow. The old black and yellow kind of got lost in the mix as jigs became more popular and all the new colors came out. I started back tying some yellow/black/yellow a few years back and can tell you they are still catching more than their share of crappie.

Good job on your tying. They will work well for you.

I tie a lot of Chart/Black/Chart Roadrunners for guys here on Toledo Bend. It's a close battle between that and my Chart/Blue/Chart and one day one will be better than the other then then next day its reversed.

Skip

Re: My Interpretation of One of my Favorite Lures ~~ the Black and Yellow H&H - 08/19/15 05:33 PM

I also like the blue and this year some days its a light blue. Looks out of place or funny but fishes well.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum