Texas Fishing Forum

My First Ribbit Jigg

Posted By: stabgnid

My First Ribbit Jigg - 07/11/15 11:50 PM

Tie my First rabbit jig getting ready for the pink salmon .. I needed to put some purple hackle with the pink but did not have any .. I also want to do all the hackle with schlappen
as always feedback welcome !!
Steve - stabgnid

1/8th Jighead
Tail-Purple marabou with Flashabou
Body-Pink & Purple Crosscut Rabbit
Hackle-Pink
Thread- White then VeeVus Red Sparkle

Posted By: AggieKenny

Re: My First Ribbit Jigg - 07/11/15 11:57 PM

Looks good!
Posted By: Skip_48

Re: My First Ribbit Jigg - 07/12/15 04:58 PM

Nice tie, but I really do not see the Flashabou.

Skip
Posted By: stabgnid

Re: My First Ribbit Jigg - 07/12/15 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Skip_48
Nice tie, but I really do not see the Flashabou.

Skip

Its there.. Its one of things I need to adjust need to add more ..
This is a practice jig it will never see water for salmon its tied on a Crappie hook !! I ordered some salmon jigs to tie on !!
Posted By: larry mays

Re: My First Ribbit Jigg - 07/12/15 07:33 PM

Looks good to me Steve, as a matter of fact looks like a crappie jig from the 60's. Then we use 4 inch blood marabou and tie it on like hackle. Still works today.

Re: My First Ribbit Jigg - 07/13/15 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: larry mays
Looks good to me Steve, as a matter of fact looks like a crappie jig from the 60's. Then we use 4 inch blood marabou and tie it on like hackle. Still works today.

Hey Larry would you mind taking that a little farther? Did you use the marabou as just a dollar or did you use just the marabou and maybe Palmer it on? Just trying to visualize what you were talking about. Still like to Learn everything I can, never know when we can use some little thing to make a better fish trap, LOL!

Skip

Re: My First Ribbit Jigg - 07/13/15 04:52 PM

Yea Skip, guess you may call it palmer it on. We would use 2 feathers of 4 inch cut to what the feather had to offer. Some started at the front of hook using little end of feather. I always started at back just in front of hook point and tied big part of feather first. Just be sure feather flows to back as it wants. Good feathers are hard to come by these days. This is a full feather jig that's work well in warm water. Does not matter about color as long as jig is red and feathers are white. Back in the day it is what we had so we loved it.

Re: My First Ribbit Jigg - 07/13/15 06:54 PM

Okay thanks! I did a little Roadrunner after a guy sent me some materials he didn't want and didn't think he would ever use. So I tied it with a Palmered mini marabou feather and looks pretty decent. I am pretty sure this is what you mean??

Skip

Re: My First Ribbit Jigg - 07/13/15 07:09 PM

Yea maybe but the way back then did not have a tail just 2 feathers and a jig hook. The feather will go back over and cover the hook. A person has to tie one and put it in the water to understand. But, like I said it takes good feathers which up until a few years ago could be had. The marabou has to be long enough to keep the tie ins down and also strong enough to not break. At the same time be where you can wrap the hook with no trouble.

Re: My First Ribbit Jigg - 07/13/15 07:29 PM

Skip the roadrunner you did there should be a good one. The marabou body will pull back over the hook and the tail will have that rat tail look. So you have one that should fish like a plastic jig but stronger and also the tied jig look body.

Re: My First Ribbit Jigg - 07/14/15 01:03 AM

Thanks appreciate the explination. I think the marabou I buy is better, more like you are talking about, but I have not bought any lately either. I mostly use feather sold by Hareline and for me they have a better product. Don't know if it's just the way they handle their feathers. All I know is there has been a few times I had to buy more than I needed because I was special ordering a shade that was not their regular one. So I sold a good bit and heard back that these were better than what they had been getting. I do not know where they normally get theirs at all though.

Skip
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum