Texas Fishing Forum

Turkey Feathers?

Posted By: BlueNitro

Turkey Feathers? - 04/15/15 02:54 PM

I killed a turkey last week but shot up the fan so won't bother mounting. What feathers do you guys use when you use turkey feathers? Do you guys have any examples of jigs that you have done before? I have a lot of feathers but no ideas.
Posted By: CrappieHappy

Re: Turkey Feathers? - 04/15/15 03:14 PM

Maribou

Mel (JigMan) has made some mean jigs from the Grey Bou from a gobbler he got as well..

Re: Turkey Feathers? - 04/15/15 05:27 PM

Yeah, I knew that marabou comes from the tail feathers and saved some. Does anyone use the tail, shorter or wing feathers?
Posted By: larry mays

Re: Turkey Feathers? - 04/15/15 05:37 PM

Any of it with a soft stem is as good as it gets. The rest is just how much trouble are you willing to go to but that would be some of your own jigs for sure.
Posted By: larry mays

Re: Turkey Feathers? - 04/15/15 05:56 PM

Didn't know how long you have been at this so little more info: just look at each feather as you would to tie a jig., The ones you get to tie with is suppose to have had this done. The best feather from a turkey is the one that have a soft stem and will be about 4 inches long. But any of them that can be trimmed to work is ok.
Posted By: AggieKenny

Re: Turkey Feathers? - 04/15/15 07:46 PM

I tied these from this feather. It caught fish. I don't tie tips, so the stem doesn't affect the way I tie. Just peel the barbules off the stem and go to town.

Re: Turkey Feathers? - 04/15/15 08:58 PM

Very nice Kenny.
Posted By: pepop

Re: Turkey Feathers? - 04/15/15 09:32 PM

thumb SWEET!!
Posted By: plateboater

Re: Turkey Feathers? - 04/16/15 09:48 AM

The belly hair going towards the anus. All those light fluffy feathers are great for gill jigs
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum