Texas Fishing Forum

Something a Little Different

Posted By: Skip_48

Something a Little Different - 08/14/18 04:40 PM

Watermelon Red Flake/Tomato Seed/Golden Olive marabou!

Skip
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Something a Little Different - 08/14/18 07:24 PM

Different, especially with those longer tails. But I bet they will catch.
That olive marabou looks a lot like many of the bass catching colors. And I've found over the years that crappie like the same colors as bass. thumb

Re: Something a Little Different - 08/14/18 09:30 PM

Thank you Ken and yes I agree. I had these sitting around for a good while. Think I tied them about 4 years ago, lol! I need to fish them!

Skip
Posted By: SK.

Re: Something a Little Different - 08/15/18 08:04 PM

Purdy....
I've never used marabou... might have to give it a go.....
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Something a Little Different - 08/15/18 11:14 PM

sounds like a pizza,...marabou is supposed to be great in colder water, they maintain their movement
better than plastic,

Re: Something a Little Different - 08/16/18 02:29 PM

Thank you guys!

For me marabou is about all I use in spring as I fish my little Roadrunners and Pony head style jigs. If you never have looked at marabou and how it looks in the water, your really missing some important info IMHO! I long line troll pretty slow so can just pull it along next to the boat so I can see how it acts when I make some moves, like making it hesitate every once in a while! What happens is it stops then drops a little and then takes off again. Just pulling it along just under the surface it almost looks like it's swimming. Do yourself a favor and make one to try and see how it does for yourself! It has a more and better natural action than any thing I have every tried! Hey it will also out fish soft plastic most of the time IMHO! Each have their place and time, but really marabou un like soft plastic has no time it stops working, but since it is action all the time, fish can get like we have all seen and don't want anything moving right? Well that is about the only time a soft plastic or other type will clearly have the advantage!

Skip

Re: Something a Little Different - 08/16/18 06:53 PM

Hackle is all I've used since I sorta stopped using plastics.....
I'll have to give that marabou a try, I've heard a lot of good about it....
Thanks Skip....

Re: Something a Little Different - 08/17/18 01:46 PM

Well know it will not hold up as long as hackle will, but still a lot longer than soft plastics! What I have found is if we can fish a Roadrunner without loosing it, it will still be catching fish, but the tail is almost gone at near 125 crappie. It's more fragile than hackle, but so much more movement! Get a fish tank and try the different types so you can see it in action. Still really amazing to see marabou pulled slow by the boat and if you stop and start by moving the rod tip back, nothing acts like marabou then.

Tell you what, look at how many of the different synthetic materials available say something like, much like marabou, lol! You will see that a lot, but don't ever remember seeing any saying much like Hackle! Some people thing it's cheap due to the cheap jigs sold at places like Walmart that just suck, but when you make your won or get them from a good tier, then you have something IMHO!

I also have used them just tight lining in summer or at night and woks great, but if the fish are in the mood they sometimes get in where you can't move a jig and get bit and only when held still will they hit it and then marabou is probably not what you want. Now is spring and fall I believe it would be hard to find something that works better on a consistent basis!

Skip

Re: Something a Little Different - 08/17/18 04:28 PM

Excellent info Skip....

Re: Something a Little Different - 08/17/18 06:30 PM

Thanks SK and if you cast it on a 1.32 or pull it, just do it slow! My long line trolling that I do is between .4 and .8 MPH and more to the lower end of that range, but have to check to see which one they like. Like a Roadrunner for me is hard to cast and reel because you need to go so slow.

Skip
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Something a Little Different - 11/01/18 03:24 AM

Nice baits. Good job. thumb
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Something a Little Different - 11/01/18 03:13 PM

Those are nice Skip!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum