Texas Fishing Forum

Messing Around With Kip Tail

Posted By: Skip_48

Messing Around With Kip Tail - 08/02/18 04:39 PM

Tied a little on a few different style heads.

Skip

Posted By: gar1970

Re: Messing Around With Kip Tail - 08/02/18 05:42 PM

Nice thumb
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Messing Around With Kip Tail - 08/02/18 07:13 PM

Nice thumb

Re: Messing Around With Kip Tail - 08/03/18 02:35 PM

Thank you guys! I do know this stuff catches a lot of crappie and very popular in Louisiana. Little back story on the top two. Some guys from Louisiana contacted me to see if I could make some like they had been using because the guy they had been getting them from was not tying any longer. So I took one apart and sent the head to a guy to see if he could make some. Shorten story, he did that and just like I wanted to to be made. So first thing to know is I had very little faith in kip tail hair jigs, just not my cup of tea! Well after he got a mold made and poured a couple heads to send me and I pained, then tied them. Was sitting at my tying table and a bit tied of tying so thought I would go down to my bank and just see if anything would hit these. It was in March and I got my most wimpy rod and spinning reel and took a float and put it maybe a foot above the jig. Water was always high enough to be at full pool, maybe a little over? Anyway lots of pieces of wood in the water along the bank and I just stuck it in maybe 18" off the bank, let it sit for a short time and saw a spot I liked better so went to move it, but when I lifted it out of the water I saw a flash under it. So I put it right back in and soon caught a big old fat crappie, then 3 more before I stopped, maybe 15 minutes in total! I have 4 crappie and the smallest was 14"! Needless to say for the first time in my life I had confidence in kip tail jigs and know they will catch crappie and do it well!

Skip
Posted By: SK.

Re: Messing Around With Kip Tail - 08/04/18 02:30 AM

Looks good and i'm sure the crappie will eat them..... I've never used any..

Re: Messing Around With Kip Tail - 08/04/18 12:58 PM

Originally Posted By: SK.
Looks good and i'm sure the crappie will eat them..... I've never used any..

Same way I thought of them before I ever tied one. Personally I feel when the water is cool, not much better than this! Will work other than that, but I feel if the water temps are like near 50 degrees it’s gonna be hard to out fish one of the kip tail jigs! Not sure when other things work better, but cold water around 50 degrees take soft plastic away as being really good! Hair will still produce and one reason a jig with pork rind tail does well in winter.

Get some a give it a shot! Oh and when you use one of your tiny jigs hair will make the drop even slower.

Skip
Posted By: jigbutch

Re: Messing Around With Kip Tail - 08/06/18 02:16 AM

Skip, what type of thread/tape is that...also, do you sell the kip tail

Re: Messing Around With Kip Tail - 08/06/18 12:58 PM

Originally Posted By: jigbutch
Skip, what type of thread/tape is that...also, do you sell the kip tail

That is just Danville 210 Flat Waxed thread, but on a thread neck jig I use to kind of nasty glue called Softex and I can put it on 360 degrees and let it even get into the har as it’s coming out. It’s super tough stuff and should hold up really well!

As for selling kip tails, I have enough that I can sell some of mine, I have a lot!

Skip
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: Messing Around With Kip Tail - 08/08/18 03:17 AM

I likey.

>E
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Messing Around With Kip Tail - 08/08/18 03:43 AM

Nice jigs! hooked
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum