Texas Fishing Forum

Topwater on fire at Stickmarsh

Posted By: bubbaque

Topwater on fire at Stickmarsh - 11/01/17 09:06 PM

Hello guys, how are things in Texas? Just a short blurb on some baits I have been using in Florida. I fish Stickmarsh around 200 days per year and its absolutely shaping up to be our best year in a long time. I am using a variety of baits but lately the topwater bite is is in rare form. I have been using a Superspook hybrid that I got from Mr Harper. It has a different set of hooks and a little custom paint. The last three trips between Stickmarsh and Toho have really amazed me and clients.

We have averaged over 50 fish per trip, mostly 3 to 5 lbs all full bellied shad gorging pigs. The prefered method seemed to be a twitch and stop method, emphasis on stop. The fish crushed it 95 % of the time on a dead stop. Our shad are all balled up, mostly big gizzards and the bass are taking advantage of the injured ones. We have alot of grass that thinned out after the hurricanes and the bait and bass are following those lines on the mainlake.

I have not been a fan of spooks because of the dreaded hook fouling in the line, I added a small snap on the front and used Suffix Seige 17 lb line, it really kept the hook fouling to a minimum.

Thanks Don for helping me expand my arsenal,our prespawn has just begun.... I will continue to send pics as the fatgirls come to the dance.

If you haven't tried these Superspooks, you might be missing out. Thanks enjoy the pics

Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Topwater on fire at Stickmarsh - 11/02/17 02:35 PM

What beautiful Bass. Thanks so much for the report. I hope to get to you some day for a guided trip.
Here is a little information that I gathered on bubbaque. He lives in Central Florida and fishes Stickmarsh, Toho and Okeechobee as a guide. He usually fishes Fork in May as the Florida season ends. He fished Fork, Athens and Monticello for 10 years when he lived in Texas. I will let him post his information for a guided trip for these great Florida Bass; if he so desires.

Here are Pics. of my best tournament winners over the years:

Re: Topwater on fire at Stickmarsh - 11/04/17 12:05 AM

Now theres a deal come on down when its freezing in Texas, we are fishing in shorts and flip flops
Posted By: BigHead248

Re: Topwater on fire at Stickmarsh - 11/04/17 12:07 AM

Hey bubbaque nice fish and thanks for the post. What size and brand hooks are on there?
Posted By: "TexasFight"

Re: Topwater on fire at Stickmarsh - 11/04/17 11:23 PM

Bubbaque, How Does Donald modify the spook specifically? Very interested in his spooks!

Re: Topwater on fire at Stickmarsh - 11/05/17 12:06 AM

Sorry for delay been fishing last 3 days,KVD Trip Grip 2.0 on super spook, 2 on back 4 on front and middle, I haven't had a shaker yet. These are some sharp hooks!
Posted By: Bass_Fanatic

Re: Topwater on fire at Stickmarsh - 11/05/17 05:06 AM

Good looking fish. Nothing beats a good topwater bite, especially on a spook! Does that chrome/purple back spook catch fish when it's sunny?
Posted By: graywolfrider

Re: Topwater on fire at Stickmarsh - 11/05/17 01:34 PM

Good looking fish and thanks for the post. Question for you Why don't the original spooks not have spit rings on the hooks? Just curious. Thanks and keep up the post love seeing good fish photos

Re: Topwater on fire at Stickmarsh - 11/06/17 01:04 AM

The Original Spook does not have split rings for two reasons:
- Less hook length keeps the hooks from getting collared together; as I have added the third hook patterned after the Zell Rolland Signature Spook of the 90's.
- Without split rings the hooks will track in the same spot rubbing a grove in the plastic bait. This rocking of the hooks makes the grove deeper and deeper. The screech of the hook plays a tune Big Bass really like. The deeper the grove over time the bigger the Bass it will catch.

I fish topwater anytime there is a ripple

Re: Topwater on fire at Stickmarsh - 11/06/17 01:09 AM

Yes I fish sunny, cloudy, rainy but especially windy. Wind is your friend, I learned that on Fork
Posted By: bassnbuddy1

Re: Topwater on fire at Stickmarsh - 11/06/17 05:54 PM

how do you like the hardware replacement on the original spook

Re: Topwater on fire at Stickmarsh - 11/09/17 10:35 PM

Strong gripp hooks hold tight, the snap in front imparts an easier "walkin" technique and the colors are way cool.

Re: Topwater on fire at Stickmarsh - 11/30/17 12:50 AM

Bellys full of shad
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum