Texas Fishing Forum

Thinnest line for jugs?

Posted By: WillieRip

Thinnest line for jugs? - 10/29/17 01:24 PM

What's the thinnest line you'd use for jugs. I'm running 30 lbs most of the time.
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Thinnest line for jugs? - 10/29/17 01:45 PM

I don’t run jugs a lot Willie but because I have had a couple of break offs using mono early on when I do run jugs I use the heavier trot line stuff-
I get the impression watching your videos you seem to target eaters, so I bet 30 lbs linewoukd serve you well-
But to answer the question, I don’t use mono -
Posted By: WillieRip

Re: Thinnest line for jugs? - 10/29/17 09:45 PM

See I'm used to fishing with 8 lbs mono on the handline. 30 lbs mono feels thick enough to land an F/A-18E Super Hornet, lol. I am and will always be a finesse fisherman.

Even so the state record blue catfish at 120 lbs 4 oz was caught on 40 lbs line while jug fishing. "Light" line is standard fair in my waters.

If I used heavy mono I'd use something like 300 lbs mono. It's be much easier on the hands, but I don't have much of a problems using light line.
Posted By: sae

Re: Thinnest line for jugs? - 10/29/17 10:31 PM

I like using big line because you might catch a5# or a 50lb. fish any time. thick line is easy on my hands.I
have been cut by mono and thin braid.
Posted By: taterpop

Re: Thinnest line for jugs? - 10/31/17 05:19 AM

# 18 tarred nylon it will take scuffing around and still work good. Mono will start to feel rough right around the hook and above the hook, abrasion will cause line failure 30 LB test will drop from that after a few cats.
Posted By: DEWAYNE BULLARD

Re: Thinnest line for jugs? - 10/31/17 03:59 PM

Weighted jugs I like #48 tarred line , easier on hands and to pull out of snags if a big fish hangs it up..
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum