Texas Fishing Forum

which is best reel for cat fishing?

Posted By: charleswilbourn

which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/12/17 06:41 AM

I am totally new to fishing. I have no idea about fishing. I want to get some idea about fishing and I want to be an expert in fishing. Please help me.
Posted By: Monkeypuncher

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/12/17 11:38 AM

My preference is the Abu Garcia 7000 series. 6500 is a solid second choice.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/12/17 12:01 PM

Depends on how you are fishing and what you are fishing for. Bank fishing or boat fishing?
I use spinning equipment for most of my catfishing since I can pitch my bait into tight cover better when after eater blues and channels. Open water drifting or bottom fishing I may use casting reels mostly or a big spincast Zebco 808.
Spinning reels---------Mitchell 300, Shakespear, Shimano and Penn
Casting reels----------CatMax, Diawa, Garcia, Penn, Lews
Spincast---------------Zebco

Lots of stuff to chose from.

Then you have to look at which kind and type of rod to use. All rods are not created equal.
Posted By: G Love

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/12/17 01:58 PM

I haven't met an expert yet, but no advice will help you more than time on the water.

As far as reels, your bread and butter Catfish reel for this part of the country is an Abu Garcia 6500 C3.
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/12/17 03:22 PM

What kind of Catfishing?

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/12/17 03:48 PM

Time on the water is great, but if you really want to learn, hire a guide who specializes in the fishing you want to pursue.
Posted By: BigPoppa007

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/12/17 04:14 PM

I like Shimano Sienna 4000 for channels and Cabelas Salt Striker SBF65 for Big Blues. 7' medium rods for channels and 7'6" or 8' MH for Big Blues.
Posted By: WillieRip

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/12/17 05:08 PM

I like this one:
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/12/17 07:12 PM

I like these Willie texas
Posted By: scruboak

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/12/17 11:52 PM

Mud cat reel. roflmao
Posted By: BigPoppa007

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/13/17 02:07 AM

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/7318733/1
Posted By: snowyriver6

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/13/17 03:08 AM

I like the garcia C3's but I bought a shimano tekato and I believe its gonna be hard to beat but its pricy

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/13/17 04:12 AM

Originally Posted By: snowyriver6
I like the garcia C3's but I bought a shimano tekato and I believe its gonna be hard to beat but its pricy

The Tekota's aren't perfect but beat the socks off tha' Abus! thumb

Posted By: snowyriver6

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/13/17 12:31 PM

ha, you aint got no hooks

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/13/17 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: snowyriver6
ha, you aint got no hooks

Shhhh, didn't want to sore-lip'em!!! Lol
Posted By: Magged Out

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/13/17 02:42 PM

Akios S-Line 757CS

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/13/17 05:06 PM

He's just starting and we're trying to get him to buy some high priced reels. Lmao.

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/13/17 05:06 PM

I did find the Tekota for $150 on eBay though.
Posted By: mjmetro0719

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/13/17 05:07 PM

I like my Abu 6500c3's
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/13/17 05:20 PM

Abu Garcia 6500 C3 is an investment that will last a long, long time and can be repaired infinitely with parts that are readily available. 5500 C3 will work as well, but you will have less line on the spool if a big one makes a run. Also, if you are bank fishing you can cast the line off of the 5500 if you know how to sling them.
Posted By: Tc24

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/13/17 06:09 PM

Abu Garcia 6500 C3 here too,
Posted By: MercuryJump

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/14/17 03:36 AM

Zebco 202
Posted By: serj5150

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/14/17 01:38 PM

I like my Abu 5 and 6000's. still waiting for that big one to break them!! hammer
Posted By: Captain Yakker

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/14/17 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: MercuryJump
Zebco 202
I was visiting at my parents home many years ago and found my childhood rod and reel with a Zebco 202. Brought it home and went to the lake shore a couple days later. I had a chartreuse spinner bait tied on and landed a 10 lb. buffalo carp on that old rod and reel. Once I got it in shallow water, I just started walking backwards to drag it up the bank. There was no way I was going to try lifting that fish on that old rod and reel.

The Zebco 202 has probably been the beginning of many childhood fishing adventures over the years.

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/14/17 06:03 PM

Originally Posted By: serj5150
I like my Abu 5 and 6000's. still waiting for that big one to break them!! hammer

I have 7 at Southwestern Parts being fixed. Customers were reeling in fish and the reel came off the seat.
Posted By: serj5150

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/15/17 06:56 AM

Maybe I'll have that problem one day Mike, may...lol!!
Posted By: TCK73

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/15/17 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn
Originally Posted By: serj5150

I have 7 at Southwestern Parts being fixed. Customers were reeling in fish and the reel came off the seat.

I can see that happening they way most of them are just tack welded together. Im sure that makes a good impression on the customers! That just gave me an idea, I should set try to make a machined stainless frame for an Abu on one of the Mazek CNC machines here in the shop hmmm
Posted By: Littlefeather

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/15/17 04:34 PM

Ctk, careful with that cnc machine! You might be going into the reel business if you aren't careful. I can't wait to see the prototype. thumb

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/15/17 10:02 PM

I just ordered a Kastking Rover 50R. Just in case my 40 year old Diawa Millionaire 5H(brown)gives out.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/15/17 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Littlefeather
Ctk, careful with that cnc machine! You might be going into the reel business if you aren't careful. I can't wait to see the prototype. thumb

LOL... I probably will never have time to shut that machine down for this kind of stuff bang

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/18/17 08:18 PM

Got this in the mail today. That was only 3 days ago that I ordered it. Fast shipping!
Anyway, this thing looks well made. No surface tool marks and anodizing and chrome are smooth and shiny.
The aluminum handle is polished and no rough edges anywhere.
Reel turns easy and bearings are almost silent. The lock is instant and positive with no slack forward or back. Haven't opened it up to look at the insides and probably won't unless it breaks. This one is the 50 size and looks like it will hold a lot of braid.
It's sorta purdy for an el cheapo reel. Less than $50

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/20/17 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: TCK73
Originally Posted By: Littlefeather

LOL... I probably will never have time to shut that machine down for this kind of stuff bang

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/20/17 08:17 PM

$118 plus shipping from the other side of the pond nuts
Posted By: Briansz

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/23/17 01:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Muzzlebrake
Got this in the mail today. That was only 3 days ago that I ordered it. Fast shipping!
Anyway, this thing looks well made. No surface tool marks and anodizing and chrome are smooth and shiny.
Reel turns easy and bearings are almost silent. The lock is instant and positive with no slack forward or back. Haven't opened it up to look at the insides and probably won't unless it breaks. This one is the 50 size and looks like it will hold a lot of braid.

I hope you'll give us all a test report after you take that reel out a couple times. I've always been curious about those and the reviews are so mixed that I've never bought one to try out.

I do have three KastKing spinning reels with the bait clickers and don't think they are terrible for the cost. Bought them in frustration after going to Cabelas a couple times for the Salt Strikers that were on sale, those never seemed to be in stock when the website said they were.
Posted By: GetSlimed

Re: which is best reel for cat fishing? - 10/23/17 05:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Briansz
Originally Posted By: Muzzlebrake

I hope you'll give us all a test report after you take that reel out a couple times. I've always been curious about those and the reviews are so mixed that I've never bought one to try out.

I do have three KastKing spinning reels with the bait clickers and don't think they are terrible for the cost. Bought them in frustration after going to Cabelas a couple times for the Salt Strikers that were on sale, those never seemed to be in stock when the website said they were.

Looks just like the old Ming Yang reels. Ive got two and never had a problem with them. They are a little heavier than the Abus, but at half the price Ill take a couple of extras ounces.
Has anyone else had the reel seats break on the Abus???
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum