Texas Fishing Forum

Water Temps

Posted By: Sirjet

Water Temps - 08/22/17 01:57 PM

I hit the water as much as I can throughout the year. But with the weather starting to go down. When does the bigger blues start to get more aggressive? I Love the winter the best but i am just wondering what temperature do they start to turn it on?
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Water Temps - 08/22/17 02:40 PM

They start to show back up in the middle of October on LV. Usually around Thanksgiving they are biting good. As the water temp hits the 40s it's on.
Posted By: clk

Re: Water Temps - 08/22/17 05:03 PM

If you don't mind night fishing you can catch them year round. They eat all year there just easier to find in the winter. Usally in September I start catching fish over 20 pretty regularly but with the crazy weather who knows. We caught one over 20 on the last two trips on live bait so I'm thinking it might be time to quit messing with the whites and hybrids.
Posted By: J Lowe

Re: Water Temps - 08/22/17 05:43 PM

Definitely easier in the cooler temps, but you can still catch some post spawn brutes this time of year. My advise would be to just cover some water dragging some fresh cut bait. Focus on structure.
Posted By: Catfish Lynn

Re: Water Temps - 08/23/17 02:41 AM

As for me & set lines, I got to where I set out lines just before T-Day. The Blues would go on up from smaller, and from 20 to 40 pound range on Lake Limestone. Probably slacking down by first to mid March. February is considered Big Blue month. I basically use perch & goldfish.

The bigger ones hit all the time. But it seems to be more plentiful in cooler weather. Probably the reason is that many fish for them shallow or deep, and they may be suspending at mid-level due to the thermocline during the time it is active.

I prize the 12 to 14# Blues the most, as to cutting boneless steaks from the backstrap. They look like the shape of a " B " or " 8 " & deep fry them. Simply the Best! However, it seems some of the lakes here & there have those in the slot that you cannot keep.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum