Texas Fishing Forum

Chum success

Posted By: JRammit

Chum success - 07/23/17 03:52 AM

Few months ago i got some advice here on making chum... much appreciated! ... so i figured i would share my results

Total of four 5 pounders between me and a buddy over 2 nights.... first night was slow, but after 24 hours, and a second dose of chum in the same hole, we got some action!

Chum recipe was cracked corn and water... NO yeast or sugar this time (last batch was a disaster, couldnt even use it because the fumes made me sick).... also i added a few scoops of our high dollar chicken feed.... one week in the sun, and WHEW!!!

Each fish we cleaned had a belly full of corn, so the verdict is in.... it worked!

Thanks again for the advice
Posted By: SGT BALLARD

Re: Chum success - 07/23/17 05:28 AM

Congratulations on the chum and the fish. If your 1st batch smelled as bad as you say, made you sick, that's exactly the way you wanted it. Be safe and have a blessed day...

Re: Chum success - 07/23/17 07:00 PM

It wasn't the smell that made me sick, it was the fumes from the yeast... gave me a poundibg headache

The second batch (without the yeast) actually smelled worse, which as you say, is the whole point
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Chum success - 07/23/17 07:20 PM

It's the smell that brings them in, and if you can come up with a recipe that agrees with the cats, and one that you can eat a sandwich while throwing the chum you've found the perfect chum.
The way I sour my grain is fill the bucket half full with grain and add water until it's 1/4 from the top of the bucket.
It's not necessary to do, but helps speed up the process, and that is adding can of beer which takes the place of the yeast.
Like I said, just letting the bucket sit out in the sun for a week (loosely place lid on top), you don't really need the yeast.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Chum success - 07/23/17 10:26 PM

Where are you getting non-pasteurized beer?
Posted By: Littlefeather

Re: Chum success - 07/23/17 10:41 PM

Glad you got your recipe dialed in! I thought I was gonna see you on Moonshiners for awhile! Congrats!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Chum success - 07/24/17 03:46 AM

Nice fish. thumb

Re: Chum success - 07/24/17 02:22 PM

Thanks all!

Curious, do any of you whip your chum up into a dough bait?

We were using cut bluegill, and im not disappointed at all..... but cant help wondering if we woulda done better using the chum itself for bait
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: Chum success - 07/24/17 03:34 PM

Thanks for the follow up results . Been wondering if it's worth the battle with the ol lady haha
Posted By: REDGUN

Re: Chum success - 07/25/17 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: JRammit

Curious, do any of you whip your chum up into a dough bait?

Mix it in with some cheap biscuit dough and see how it works.....
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Chum success - 07/29/17 01:29 PM

If you think corn stinks, try some wheat. Wheat takes a good bit less time to get going.
I have some 2 year old soured wheat that is now black and will scare the dogs away.
I try to keep several 5 gal Home Depot buckets working all the time.
Just whole wheat and water. Nothing else needed.
If you get any of this stuff on your boat carpet you will have to throw the whole boat away to get rid of the smell.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum