Texas Fishing Forum

Drifting with chicken livers?

Posted By: WillieRip

Drifting with chicken livers? - 06/20/17 02:08 PM

Cut bait is my choice, but I was wondering if any of you have drifted with chicken livers?
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: Drifting with chicken livers? - 06/20/17 04:08 PM

The idea Sounds odd to me I don't know why tho lol
Posted By: red snappa

Re: Drifting with chicken livers? - 06/20/17 05:51 PM

When I was little, my dad would use panty hose to hold liver on the hook while drifting. While the method caught fish, it did not out produce shad or minnows.
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: Drifting with chicken livers? - 06/20/17 08:06 PM

There a number of guys in this area that fish for blue cats with chicken BREAST and they do very well. One of them is a professional catfish guide. Two of them are in this boat, and yes, this fish was caught on chicken breast.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-NM37jb-Ndw
Posted By: roger t

Re: Drifting with chicken livers? - 06/20/17 11:10 PM

I have drifted with chicken livers for years...works great. Catch a lot of hy-breds too.
Posted By: WillieRip

Re: Drifting with chicken livers? - 06/22/17 03:21 PM

People drift unweighted jugs all the time with chicken gizzards over here.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Drifting with chicken livers? - 06/22/17 04:22 PM

Garlic soaked chicken breast chunks works real good on blues and channels too. I use it all the time. Catches just as much as live perch does and a lot easier to get.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Drifting with chicken livers? - 06/26/17 02:08 PM

They're called Rooster livers here in Huntsville! Saw two guys drifting below G dam on Saturday using them. One guy seemed to hook the bottom more often than a catfish. I use cheese cloth to wrap the liver with. Stays on the hook much better. I just can't get away from using nightcrawlers. Tried cut perch, but it doesn't produce the bites that worms do.

If my back ever heals up enough, I hope to start throwing my cast net again for shad.
Posted By: SARG

Re: Drifting with chicken livers? - 06/27/17 01:21 AM

Just use ANY part of a fresh chicken for the exact same affect
Nothing special about the livers,its the "chicken in it" that the cats hit on
Buy a 10# bag of chicken quarters,bone it out and youll have around 8.5# of cat bait for under $10.
What other cat bait can you buy 10# of for less then $10?
Thank you,Please Drive Thru
Posted By: Bminchew

Re: Drifting with chicken livers? - 06/27/17 04:29 PM

Its the blood content in the liver, and the strong odor that makes livers better than a chicken leg. A liver doesn't smell like a chicken leg, or taste like a chicken leg, or even look like a chicken leg. People have used livers and gizzards for a long time, and for a good reason they work. Don't see many people putting a chicken leg on a circle hook.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Drifting with chicken livers? - 06/27/17 09:56 PM

For liver I like the smallest size tube gauze available. I think the smallest is 1/2 inch but that size holds a nice wad of liver. The threads on the weave actually imbed in the liver and it just looks like a wad of liver hanging on the hook.

I hear chicken hearts work well and are tough enough to stay on the hook but I havn't tried them yet. I may have to get a batch and garlic them up.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Drifting with chicken livers? - 06/27/17 10:48 PM

I have toughened up chicken livers by putting them out in the sun for a few hours. The cats bit them ok, but probably not as good as fresh. They did stay on the hook better, though. Another trick is to use sugar to toughen them up.

Re: Drifting with chicken livers? - 06/28/17 03:01 AM

If thats all you believe then stick with it
Livers are slow sellers out this way,no one uses dead red that I know of either
The early cats coming off of spawn are smashing trot lines baited with straight chicken
Alot of 8-10# blues are getting sacked up,jugs working over time as well
Just like they do every year.
I dont fish for channels so said bait is out of my reason.
I feed Yella cat and Blues

Originally Posted By: Bminchew
Its the blood content in the liver, and the strong odor that makes livers better than a chicken leg. A liver doesn't smell like a chicken leg, or taste like a chicken leg, or even look like a chicken leg. People have used livers and gizzards for a long time, and for a good reason they work. Don't see many people putting a chicken leg on a circle hook.

Re: Drifting with chicken livers? - 06/28/17 03:03 AM

As kids we were taught to use salt and put them flat out and direct sun
Never heard of sugar

Originally Posted By: uncle_bagster
I have toughened up chicken livers by putting them out in the sun for a few hours. The cats bit them ok, but probably not as good as fresh. They did stay on the hook better, though. Another trick is to use sugar to toughen them up.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum