Texas Fishing Forum

Cotton seed cubes

Posted By: catcrew68

Cotton seed cubes - 06/17/17 05:10 PM

Anyone chum for catfish with cotton seed cubes.
Posted By: taterpop

Re: Cotton seed cubes - 06/17/17 05:12 PM

Where can you get them ? How much are they ?
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Cotton seed cubes - 06/17/17 05:14 PM

That's damn good carp chum...used to hammer em on cotton seed meal doe bait...never caught cats on it but tons of carp
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Cotton seed cubes - 06/17/17 05:24 PM

I knew an old feller that was a commercial fisherman up on Red River and he used cotton seed cake in his hoop nets to draw them in. Nets would be so full of channels and blues he couldn't lift them out of the water. That was back in the 50's way before the stripers took over and ruined the river for fishing.
I was raised with one foot in that river and sure do miss the way it was back then.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Cotton seed cubes - 06/17/17 06:43 PM

That's what we used to bait holes for crappie and catfish.

Re: Cotton seed cubes - 06/17/17 10:15 PM

Taterpop, I am ordering them through a local feed store. No one stocks them in my neck of the wood, at least none that I know of. They are a little pricey, 11 bucks for a 50 lb. bag.
Posted By: taterpop

Re: Cotton seed cubes - 06/19/17 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: catcrew68
Taterpop, I am ordering them through a local feed store. No one stocks them in my neck of the wood, at least none that I know of. They are a little pricey, 11 bucks for a 50 lb. bag.
Thanks. but that's not to pricey at almost 40% when range cubes at 20% are about ten bucks.
Posted By: Jamoke

Re: Cotton seed cubes - 06/19/17 02:19 PM

I've used various range cubes in the past with good results, they do bring in carp buffalo and catfish. I seem to remember that the higher the protein content the better. I think lower protein won't sink. GL

Re: Cotton seed cubes - 06/19/17 04:16 PM

I've had some good luck with soured milo and with soured wheat. The 20 % cubes have not worked very good for me. Maybe just the time and the place. Taterpop, I guess your right, 11 dollars may not be so bad. I'm old school and it seems 4 bucks would be a good price! Lol
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Cotton seed cubes - 06/21/17 12:15 AM

Soured wheat!!!
Posted By: HumanSeine

Re: Cotton seed cubes - 06/23/17 12:48 PM

Ok, I use cubes mostly so I don't have to smell rotten grain. I think all of the mentioned things work well if you are in the right locations.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum