Texas Fishing Forum

Do you think line color matters?

Posted By: wh2004

Do you think line color matters? - 06/12/17 11:52 PM

I have 6 Abu combos to re-spool and have on hand hi-vis yellow 50lb, hi-vis green 30lb, red 17lb, and hi-vis green 12lb mono on hand. Which would you use, or would you get something else?
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Do you think line color matters? - 06/13/17 12:02 AM

Color doesn't matter
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: Do you think line color matters? - 06/13/17 12:10 AM

Whatever color offsets your reel and makes it look cool : cheers coolio

Re: Do you think line color matters? - 06/13/17 12:13 AM

Alright awesome. Think the 30lb is overkill?
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Do you think line color matters? - 06/13/17 12:20 AM

30lb hi-vis all day fish
Posted By: mjmetro0719

Re: Do you think line color matters? - 06/13/17 12:25 AM

Needs to be a color that you can see very well, there has been several times on anchor and drifting where I've seen my line running sideways or towards me and I was able to get a hook set. When I first got into chasing these fish I missed several runs because I used clear or moss green line and couldn't see the line clearly, when I realized what was happening the fish dropped the bait. As soon as switched line I could see the line much better and my catch ratio improved. My prefered line choice is 30lb Anglers Offshore in hi vis yellow.

Re: Do you think line color matters? - 06/13/17 12:32 AM

Awesome.

I usually carolina rig with a swivel. What do y'all prefer for your leader?
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Do you think line color matters? - 06/13/17 12:35 AM

Color only matters to the fisherman not the fish.
Posted By: mjmetro0719

Re: Do you think line color matters? - 06/13/17 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: wh2004
Awesome.

I usually carolina rig with a swivel. What do y'all prefer for your leader?

For my leaders I use 50lb Big Game
Posted By: WillieRip

Re: Do you think line color matters? - 06/13/17 12:48 AM

Man, I'd just go with the 30 hi-is green, tie on a 50 lbs leader, and call it a day. Save your 12 lbs and 17 lbs for small channels or something.
Posted By: G Love

Re: Do you think line color matters? - 06/13/17 08:18 PM

Nope. I run 25lb Offshore Angler with a 50lb Big Game leader. Money.
Posted By: BigPoppa007

Re: Do you think line color matters? - 06/13/17 08:42 PM

Only in the store........
Posted By: BroIncarnate

Re: Do you think line color matters? - 06/13/17 10:09 PM

I use 65lb Power Pro braid with 50lb Big Game Mono leaders on flatties and bigger blues/channels- I use 12lb mono for main line/20lb mono leader for smaller channel cats-

HI VIS Orange all the way! (color is preference to angler)
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Do you think line color matters? - 06/13/17 11:12 PM

Originally Posted By: mjmetro0719
Needs to be a color that you can see very well, there has been several times on anchor and drifting where I've seen my line running sideways or towards me and I was able to get a hook set. When I first got into chasing these fish I missed several runs because I used clear or moss green line and couldn't see the line clearly, when I realized what was happening the fish dropped the bait. As soon as switched line I could see the line much better and my catch ratio improved. My prefered line choice is 30lb Anglers Offshore in hi vis yellow.

I'll second the importance of being able to see your line. When playing a fish, it's nice to see your line so you can guide the fish away from snags. As stated, it also helps in bite detection.
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: Do you think line color matters? - 06/14/17 04:11 PM

The line companies know fisherman like bright colors!!! hooked who knows what a fish thinks... I like seeing my line and there not all the same colors..i like different colors for drifting...for me not the fish 2cents
Posted By: Smoky

Re: Do you think line color matters? - 06/14/17 05:06 PM

Catfish are color blind
Posted By: lou_a

Re: Do you think line color matters? - 06/14/17 05:26 PM

Does not matter to the fish but it matters to me. I try to have as many different colors out there, so if 2 or more lines get tangled up with each other, it's a little easier to sort out and correct.
Posted By: South Florida transplant

Re: Do you think line color matters? - 06/14/17 07:41 PM

Once I tried the Hi Vis I haven't went back. Whisker Seeker Orange. Amazing.
Posted By: Catfanman

Re: Do you think line color matters? - 06/14/17 09:16 PM

I use Berkley trilene big game solar collector in 25lb because it's strong and highly visible to me and I just like the way it looks
Posted By: WillieRip

Re: Do you think line color matters? - 06/15/17 12:35 AM

Well, yes, color matters to me, but the fish don't seem to care. Here's what I mean: I use handlines only. I use lead core line nearly exclusively. Lead core line changes color every 30 ft. This help me keep track of how much line is out so I can manage depths better.

My shock leaders are clear mono only with thicker lines than I'd use on rod and reel. I use 8 lbs mono just for bluegill, 20 lbs clear mono for eating-sized catfish, and I use 30 lbs hi-vis mono for backing. The colors are only to help manage line.

Although people tout fluorocarbon like crazy, fish can still detect that water is being displaced by something even though they may not being able to see it. Fish don't see like we do. They feel the vibration the line gives off far before they see anything. That's something I've learned from handlining: noticing the harmonic effect the line has as I'm trolling through the water.

If I can feel the vibration on my line, you better believe an animal designed to function in a world 800 times as dense as ours can feel those same vibration at a much greater distance.

The fish know the line is there. They don't really care about it. I've had bluegill hit on 20 lbs line in very clear deep waters here on Holt Lake. They hit as hard and as often as 4 lbs line.

The difference was I couldn't hook them because the line was too stiff. They could rip the bait right off. The moment I switched back to 8 lbs mono, I started hooking them again. On rod and reel I'd go even lighter because the rod can handle the shock more efficiently than just pure line.

So it's all a balance. On a handline I use thicker line because the line has to do all the work, but on rod and reel the rod is doing at least half the work.

Yes, the line makes a difference, but that difference depends on factors having nothing to do with the fish.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Do you think line color matters? - 06/15/17 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Smoky
Catfish are color blind

Unless they are wearing Costa blues smile
Posted By: ccat

Re: Do you think line color matters? - 06/16/17 12:29 PM

Just fish the line you can see the best......who knows what the fish are seeing.
Doug Hannon did a study on color and various depths.....if you want to pursue that, it is there to read up on.
If you really think the fish see a certain color better or shy away from a certain color, remember, if you are fishing with a leader, your main line won't matter, will it? I use 50# yellow Offshore Mono, 50# Cajun red and 60# and 80# camo leaders.....but I can tell you this, I don't put a leader on based on color, but based on the fish size I am targeting and cover I feel I might encounter.
Good luck with it
Posted By: SoonerDG

Re: Do you think line color matters? - 06/16/17 05:30 PM

I use hi-vis yellow on all of my catfishing rods
Posted By: Sirjet

Re: Do you think line color matters? - 06/16/17 08:21 PM

It is amazing how strong the 25 lbs Offshore Angler Line is. That is the only line I us now. I have caught fish up to 72 lbs on it. Hi-Vis Green.
Posted By: Sirjet

Re: Do you think line color matters? - 06/17/17 04:09 AM

It was brought to my attention. That the BPS Offshore angler line I use is yellow not Hi-VI's. Sorry my bad
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Do you think line color matters? - 06/18/17 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: WillieRip
Man, I'd just go with the 30 hi-is green, tie on a 50 lbs leader, and call it a day. Save your 12 lbs and 17 lbs for small channels or something.

+1
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Do you think line color matters? - 06/18/17 03:51 PM

My homemade cheese dough bait is sorta yellow and they don't seem to shy away from it.
I guess my yellow RipCord don't bother them none either.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum