Texas Fishing Forum

Below Guntersville Dam

Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Below Guntersville Dam - 06/12/17 02:28 PM

With the rain in the watershed and downstream flow requirements, Guntersville Dam has been releasing water in the mid 60's all week long. This is over twice the usual amount. When the lake releases that much water for that extended period, one thing you know for sure, the catfish are stacked at the base like cord wood.

Headed out a 6am from Ditto's Landing and made the seven mile journey up the Tennessee River to the dam. Water release was still in the 40's. Excellent flow. Only problem, I left my cut skip jack at home, in the freezer. For bait, one container of nightcrawlers (18 count). Little did we know, 18 was more than enough.

We knew from the first drift, it would be a special day. Multiple hookups, enough to where I only fished one rod. My partner Frankie, continued to catch them two at a time. The bite was so good, re-baiting was only necessary after 4 or 5 fish were placed in the livewell.

The only bad news was I placed my favorite R&R down to get another bottle of water from the cooler. Bad mistake. I saw it go flying overboard, the last I would see of my Abu Garcia 6500c (Swedish made, of course) and new CatMaxx rod.

As a break, we started to cast for sandbass (Alabamians call them Stripes). That to turned into a fish on every cast. But the majority of them were undersized and we only kept 10.

The nightcrawlers finally ran out at 11am. Which was fine by me, my livewell was completely full.

Posted By: JackieF

Re: Below Guntersville Dam - 06/12/17 04:02 PM

Nice!
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Below Guntersville Dam - 06/12/17 06:50 PM

Nice read.. thanks for sharing
Posted By: Blues

Re: Below Guntersville Dam - 06/13/17 01:00 AM

If you did that on worms it's scary to think what 10 to 12 inch chunks of skips would've done.

Not the day to leave the monster bait at home!!!! whip
Posted By: mjmetro0719

Re: Below Guntersville Dam - 06/13/17 02:01 AM

Very nice haul thumb
Posted By: WillieRip

Re: Below Guntersville Dam - 06/13/17 06:32 PM

Yeah, they've been biting. That water below the dam stays cool even though it's shallow. Well it's shallow below Bankhead.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum