Texas Fishing Forum

What is the best castnet?

Posted By: MercuryJump

What is the best castnet? - 05/31/17 09:48 PM

What is a good rugged castnet in the 6' range? I have been using a Big Mouth brand net and the last several were great, but the last one just didn't hold up. I don't want to spend $100 on a castnet and I need a pretty tough one since I throw from the bank.
Posted By: steveiam

Re: What is the best castnet? - 05/31/17 11:54 PM

Someone else may have better news but throwing from the bank I wouldn't get an upper end Net-
You WILL hang it up-
When I was bank bound I did a YouTube search for repairing cast nets and although there some tears you just can't fix, there are many that you can and still get use out of your net-
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I'm probably not the only one that has thrown a net with tears in it and still caught bait more than a few times-
And when the net is no good anymore, then you have weights-
Good luck and I hope someone has a better answer for you -
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: What is the best castnet? - 06/01/17 04:41 AM

One you know how to throw lol stick with a cheaper mono line one I think 4-6 ft your going to f it up get it hung get somthing you weren't trying to catch in it and tear it up specially from the bank . I take a picture of the brand I got when I have a chance it was no more than 40 and no less than 30 it has held up very well got at academy .
Posted By: Tommy_V

Re: What is the best castnet? - 06/01/17 01:17 PM

From the bank, you're just going to hang up.

I use a 7' baitbuster net, but they are pretty expensive, but they drop fast with all the weight and I seem to catch bait when nobody else is having luck with their lighter nets. I keep an academy net to throw in unfamiliar areas.

Re: What is the best castnet? - 06/01/17 07:30 PM

I started with a cheaper net from Academy and used them for several years but they just didn't last. I bought a Big Mouth and loved the first couple I had, but this last one just didn't hold up. I don't know if it was a dud, or if they have started making them cheaper since they started selling them through BassPro. I generally go through a net about every six months, but this one is coming apart in only four months. It's not tore as much as it is coming untied everywhere. I guess I'll just keep spit and bubble gumming it back together. I need it for my ministry so I really don't have much choice. lol
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: What is the best castnet? - 06/01/17 07:56 PM

I use a Lee Fisher Mako castnet in my neighbors pond nearly every week for the last 3 years and it's held up great. I throw for gills but I catch some channel cats and stick fish and the net hasn't ripped from them yet. Rinse the slime off and keep it out of the sun and it will last a long time.
Posted By: atmadison

Re: What is the best castnet? - 06/02/17 12:22 AM

Bass Pro brand cast net would be your best bet. If I remember correctly, when you by there brand you can get a warranty on it, and throwing from the bank you will need a good exchange policy. That's how it was for me a couple of years back I hope it hasn't changed, but thats what I use and it gets the job done without putting a hole in my pocket.
Posted By: hurricane 201

Re: What is the best castnet? - 06/02/17 07:21 PM

I have had and used about every net you could imagine. Pros and cons with all of them and the bottom line is if you hang one up well enough they are toast no matter how well made they are. Bait busters are very durable and some of the easiest to repair, but they are quite costly. As far a durable for the money, I will have to agree with El Gato, I have a Lee Fisher Mako with real lead, 1-lbs per foot version. I have had it for years and have yet to destroy it beyond repair. Its twisted patched, sewn, and no longer throws very well, but in a pinch seams to always catch bait.....
Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME

Re: What is the best castnet? - 06/03/17 06:23 PM

One that doesn't rip to shreads when you catch a window unit air conditioner in 50 footskies of watEEE!!! roflmao roflmao roflmao flush_2
Posted By: PlanoJames

Re: What is the best castnet? - 06/04/17 12:40 AM

Really like Makos too. Got 6ft. on Amazon for $44.94 with free one day shipping if you have Prime.
Posted By: GetSlimed

Re: What is the best castnet? - 06/04/17 01:52 AM

Originally Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME
One that doesn't rip to shreads when you catch a window unit air conditioner in 50 footskies of watEEE!!! roflmao roflmao roflmao flush_2

A window unit...that's hilarious! roflmao I caught a 6' coat rack at Lewisville under the Toll bridge. thumb
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: What is the best castnet? - 06/04/17 05:33 PM

For me it's any net that has a Perfect Circle Net Thrower installed in it. grin

Re: What is the best castnet? - 06/04/17 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: GetSlimed

A window unit...that's hilarious! roflmao I caught a 6' coat rack at Lewisville under the Toll bridge. thumb

roflmao roflmao roflmao cheers fish
Posted By: snowyriver6

Re: What is the best castnet? - 06/04/17 06:22 PM

I luv my mako
Posted By: ssfireman

Re: What is the best castnet? - 06/04/17 09:09 PM

I have used alot of nets. I use different ones for different conditions.

Re: What is the best castnet? - 06/04/17 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: ssfireman
I have used alot of nets. I use different ones for different conditions.

roflmao roflmao roflmao Nice SteevEEE!!!! Keep the good info a comin!!!! roflmao roflmao roflmao popcorn bouncy breakdance cheers
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: What is the best castnet? - 06/04/17 10:01 PM

[quote=doctorxring].

For me it's any net that has a Perfect Circle Net Thrower installed in it. grin

I'm just like you. I've been trying to learn how to throw a cast net for 10 years, and haven't got it down yet.
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: What is the best castnet? - 06/05/17 08:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Tommy_V
From the bank, you're just going to hang up.

I use a 7' baitbuster net, but they are pretty expensive, but they drop fast with all the weight and I seem to catch bait when nobody else is having luck with their lighter nets. I keep an academy net to throw in unfamiliar areas.

This^^^

Re: What is the best castnet? - 06/06/17 03:41 AM

Originally Posted By: GetSlimed

roflmao roflmao roflmao cheers fish

My last net was victim to a bicycle...
Posted By: redchevy

Re: What is the best castnet? - 06/06/17 03:37 PM

I use the ones from academy, the yellow ones. Learn how to repair them, re attach lead line, repair/replace draw lines and patch holes and the useful life of your net will grow exponentially, I get way more than 6 months use out of one and that's when I was using it 3-4 days a week.
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: What is the best castnet? - 06/06/17 03:58 PM

old salt 7' 1lb per foot eeks
Posted By: Blues

Re: What is the best castnet? - 06/06/17 04:35 PM

Throwing it from the bank changes things for sure. My favorite net is my TAPED Fitec SuperSpreader with 1 1/4lbs of weight per foot. But at $125 ain't no way I'm throwing it from the bank unless I'm in my swimming trunks and welling to get wet because loosing it ain't happening.

If I was banking it I'd throw a cheap 7ft with 1lb per foot from academy.
Posted By: G Love

Re: What is the best castnet? - 06/07/17 01:18 PM

I throw a Betts Blue and really like it. It's the heavy one. I can't remember the exact weight.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum