Texas Fishing Forum

Is a farther cast better from the banks?

Posted By: FaithMurr

Is a farther cast better from the banks? - 05/31/17 06:36 AM

How far or close do you cast your baits? Is farther better? Or is closer better?

Cut bait, stinky bait, worms, live bait whatever bait you use.

I mainly cast 20-40ft from the banks into 10ft deep waters. I can cast almost 100ft out into 20-30ft deep waters though
Posted By: Illnoize

Re: Is a farther cast better from the banks? - 05/31/17 12:29 PM

I think finding current breaks and structure is more important to locating fish then just casting out far. Sometimes casting out far is necessary, but often the forage is close to shore in structure. If you notice, most guys who fish from boats fish within casting distance from the shore.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Is a farther cast better from the banks? - 05/31/17 12:30 PM

I believe fish tend to feed closer to the bank at night and move farther out to deep water as it gts daylight. Most of the big fish I have caught were right against the bank when the water was muddy and rising.
Posted By: G Love

Re: Is a farther cast better from the banks? - 05/31/17 01:29 PM

Wherever the fish are is where you want to cast.

Put a few rods close, a few moderately out, and a launch a few. Gotta find 'em if you're gonna catch 'em.
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Is a farther cast better from the banks? - 05/31/17 01:39 PM

Originally Posted By: G Love

Put a few rods close, a few moderately out, and a launch a few. Gotta find 'em if you're gonna catch 'em.

+1
A good topo map is a fishermans best friend. Look for a point with some wind blowing on it or some other type of structure you can cast to such as a channel or hump. Fan cast some shallow, medium, and deep.
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Is a farther cast better from the banks? - 05/31/17 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: El Gato Azul
Originally Posted By: G Love

+1
A good topo map is a fishermans best friend. Look for a point with some wind blowing on it or some other type of structure you can cast to such as a channel or hump. Fan cast some shallow, medium, and deep.

These guys nailed it-
Posted By: whiterockjesse

Re: Is a farther cast better from the banks? - 06/01/17 12:39 AM

look for signs of shad ,the cats will be right there with them . in general close in at day break till about nine or ten am ,then further out when it gets warmer . but find the baitfish and you will find the fish

Re: Is a farther cast better from the banks? - 06/01/17 06:43 PM

Looking at all the comments, i have casting in the wrong places (explains why i can't catch much) and distances.
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Is a farther cast better from the banks? - 06/01/17 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: whiterockjesse
look for signs of shad ,the cats will be right there with them . in general close in at day break till about nine or ten am ,then further out when it gets warmer . but find the baitfish and you will find the fish

Hi Jesse, I hadn't seen you in a while cheers
Good info here too Faith~
Posted By: Cat finder

Re: Is a farther cast better from the banks? - 06/01/17 10:59 PM

Try chumming with the bait you use in your fishing hole. Then cast to the chum. That will solve your issue if the fish are moving.

Re: Is a farther cast better from the banks? - 06/02/17 07:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Cat finder
Try chumming with the bait you use in your fishing hole. Then cast to the chum. That will solve your issue if the fish are moving.

Is chumming allowed for catfish here in Texas?
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Is a farther cast better from the banks? - 06/02/17 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: FaithMurr

Oh hail yes!
Cats train easy. They are all like democrats. Put out the free stuff and they will come.
Posted By: Cat finder

Re: Is a farther cast better from the banks? - 06/02/17 01:35 PM

Originally Posted By: FaithMurr

Never anything about it being illegal. Go for it and wait. If things are really slow in your hole chum before sunrise. Good luck.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum