Texas Fishing Forum

I bet this is a first for everyone

Posted By: Adam94

I bet this is a first for everyone - 03/24/17 03:18 PM

At lavon yesterday finally catching some fish thank you stubby. Figured I'd try some cut shad so I bust out the cast net. Now I always keep my keys in my right pocket but keep them on a tec clip. It clips onto the edge of the pocket so they don't fall down into the pocket. Well I reach back to throw the net and as I move forward I hear the worst noise I could. Clink clink clink! My cast net caught the keys and pulled them into the water. My heart dropped. What do I do? I quickly made the decision to pull it in and pray to God that they were still stuck. I pull it in and along with about 15 shad my keys are still stuck. I'll post a picture whenever I figure out how. And to top it off the key fob still works!
Posted By: spazm09

Re: I bet this is a first for everyone - 03/24/17 03:19 PM

Close call. Could you have dove in afterbthem if they weren't on your net?

Re: I bet this is a first for everyone - 03/24/17 03:37 PM

That was one of the three options I had I figured they were probably in the cast net so I could have gone in and felt around for them, yanked it out and hoping I got lucky, or went to the car and got my flashlight with a magnet on the end and felt around in the net. Needless to say I was pretty scared.
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: I bet this is a first for everyone - 03/24/17 05:18 PM

Boy that water would have been cold!! but glad they stuck!
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: I bet this is a first for everyone - 03/24/17 05:32 PM

Sposed to have that little float in there like boat keys do so that don't happen . You got lucky tho !
Posted By: Chiprat

Re: I bet this is a first for everyone - 03/24/17 05:34 PM

you got lucky for sure... I keep a Big Magnet on a string in my boat, as well as a Large Treble hook on a string just for these cases..

Re: I bet this is a first for everyone - 03/24/17 07:33 PM

Rest assured before I go fishing I'll be putting a bobber on!
Posted By: Jerod Pontello

Re: I bet this is a first for everyone - 03/24/17 10:04 PM

On the other hand u would have been stranded at the lake, just saying
Posted By: mike9582

Re: I bet this is a first for everyone - 03/24/17 10:47 PM

I have snatched the clip on my pocket knife before, and flung it in the lake.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: I bet this is a first for everyone - 03/24/17 11:00 PM

My truck keys go into the seat on my leaning post..
Posted By: cat-aholic

Re: I bet this is a first for everyone - 03/25/17 01:14 AM

Same thing happened to me but with my pocket knife and it was still on the castnet when I pulled it out of the water
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: I bet this is a first for everyone - 03/25/17 02:08 AM

Being short, fat, and short armed I can't count the number of times my net got caught on my buttons. When you don't see so good the quickest way to get it off is to pop the button.
Posted By: GetSlimed

Re: I bet this is a first for everyone - 03/25/17 02:31 AM

Originally Posted By: mike9582
I have snatched the clip on my pocket knife before, and flung it in the lake.

Done that twice in the last couple of years. Both times I got lucky and it was hung on the net when I pulled it back up. I haven't given it a chance for a third time!

Re: I bet this is a first for everyone - 03/25/17 03:04 AM

I'd normally throw them under my seat but this spot off 380 had too many cars for me to feel comfortable with leaving it unlocked.
Posted By: Catfish Lynn

Re: I bet this is a first for everyone - 03/25/17 03:09 AM

In the same line of best to be prepared, when I drop one of my anchor buckets for my "Planter" trotlines, I make sure my hunting knife is in the sheath on my belt & a pocketknife is in my jeans pocket. And I make sure my feet & hands are well clear of the 1/4 braided nylon as that anchor sails to the bottom. Those 3.5 gallon buckets full of concrete weigh about 65 to 72 pounds each. And they will take you over & down. So best be prepared.

I was thinking somebody makes some sort of device to put small items like keys in, so if the worst scenario takes place, they will be floating around & easily spotted. And retrieved.

Most of the time, we don't like it when our cast net snags something. But I'm bettin' in your case, it was welcomed.
Posted By: Freeman Clark

Re: I bet this is a first for everyone - 03/25/17 05:02 AM

+1 on putting truck keys in a safe place on the boat.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum