Texas Fishing Forum

Shad at Highland Lakes

Posted By: Cjohle

Shad at Highland Lakes - 01/14/17 10:54 PM

Hello everyone. First time posting (but troll the forums for hours). I recently moved back to Austin (Dripping Springs) from Abilene. I generally have pretty short timelines to fish and usually after my girls have gone to bed.

Any tips on finding shad on lake LBJ or Travis (those are closest to me). I really want to hit Buchanan soon, but life is crazy while moving. For that matter, is there a decent number of blues in either lake?

thanks in advance,
CJ
Posted By: JackieF

Re: Shad at Highland Lakes - 01/17/17 01:51 PM

I don't have an answer but welcome to the forum.
Posted By: voodew

Re: Shad at Highland Lakes - 01/17/17 02:09 PM

Buchanan has lots of blues If you are catching shad form the bank you might be out of luck for the next few months as cooler water temps are sending them to deep water.
Around April/May shad will be easy.
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: Shad at Highland Lakes - 01/17/17 04:19 PM

Welcome welcome
Posted By: snowyriver6

Re: Shad at Highland Lakes - 01/18/17 02:14 PM

red top bait shop between burnet and buchanan sells perch. Cut perch is good right now.
Posted By: RWCAT

Re: Shad at Highland Lakes - 01/18/17 03:13 PM

welcome
Posted By: Cjohle

Re: Shad at Highland Lakes - 01/19/17 01:57 PM

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

@Snowyriver - That is really, really good to know!

@Voodew - I have a boat, but try to look to catch them hanging out shallow on these warm days as my net is only 6'. I know in the lakes I used to fish there were specific places I could go (depending on the previous few days prevailing winds) to snag them in the shallows if the weather had warmed up for a couple of days. That's really what I'm looking for.

I may just give in and buy a bigger net to allow me to drop it a little deeper. 1/2" mesh and at least 1lb/foot to try to get it to sink faster.

Went out to lake Travis for the first time and didn't know it was that deep! That said, all of the shad I saw on the sonar were at like 40-60'. That's crazy!

At any rate, these lakes are bigger (particularly Buchanan) than I'm used to so its daunting to try to figure out some spots (not asking anyone for their honey holes!).

Have any of you ever fished for blues with salties? What kind of luck did you have? For now, until I get things figured out, I'm just going to have some hot dogs, punch bait, and shrimp on hand . . .
Posted By: BigPoppa007

Re: Shad at Highland Lakes - 01/19/17 02:01 PM

I have caught Blues on cut Salties - chunks n Heads, on small ones I just cut the tail off.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum