Texas Fishing Forum

best electric knife that stands up to 6 lb. catfish rib bones?

Posted By: sealdaddy

best electric knife that stands up to 6 lb. catfish rib bones? - 01/13/17 11:59 PM

Are there any really good ones?
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: best electric knife that stands up to catfish rib bones? - 01/14/17 12:04 AM

We clean about 15,000 catfish a year with the American Angler Pro series and it does well for us.

But, we prefer to fillet around the rib bones instead of cutting through them. Same amount of meat, just less work, thumb
Posted By: Twistedmidnite

Re: best electric knife that stands up to catfish rib bones? - 01/14/17 01:25 PM

Yep, cut in just past the ribs. If its a big fish with big ribs you won't miss the little bit of meat lost above the ribs. If its a small fish the rib bones won't matter , just cut thru them.
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: best electric knife that stands up to catfish rib bones? - 01/14/17 03:40 PM

Is anyone else having problems with the new American Angler? My friend has returned three in less than a year. WalMart has quit caring them and he had to send the last one back to American Angler.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: best electric knife that stands up to catfish rib bones? - 01/14/17 04:42 PM

I use the orange American Angler and a shark blade. Haven't had any issues yet.

Re: best electric knife that stands up to catfish rib bones? - 01/14/17 05:27 PM

Thats the one Mr. Tom is having trouble with. Wonder why WalMart quit stocking them?
Posted By: stubby77

Re: best electric knife that stands up to catfish rib bones? - 01/14/17 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By: SalsaŽ
We clean about 15,000 catfish a year with the American Angler Pro series and it does well for us.

But, we prefer to fillet around the rib bones instead of cutting through them. Same amount of meat, just less work, thumb
that's what I do American angler the best

Re: best electric knife that stands up to catfish rib bones? - 01/15/17 01:46 PM

Is the freshwater version of the American Angler knife as powerful as the saltwater one?
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: best electric knife that stands up to catfish rib bones? - 01/15/17 02:18 PM

Used to have that problem and went through several electric knives and finally wised up and went with a straight blade heavy 1" wide filet knife made by Dexter Russel.
I swore I would never buy another electric as long as I'm able to fish.
Heavy bone you trim around them and on smaller and scaled fish you can slice through with ease.
The more expensive version of what I use is called the "Bubba Blade."
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: best electric knife that stands up to catfish rib bones? - 01/15/17 02:43 PM

I use my orange AA pro edition with a shark blade on everything from crappie, to bull reds and 5' black tip sharks. It will get pretty warm in your hand during a long fish cleaning session, but it works great every time.

Re: best electric knife that stands up to catfish rib bones? - 01/16/17 11:59 AM

thanks, y'all
I just ordered the Orange American Angler knife with an assortment of spare blades.
I really appreciate your input.

Re: best electric knife that stands up to catfish rib bones? - 01/16/17 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: sealdaddy
thanks, y'all
I just ordered the Orange American Angler knife with an assortment of spare blades.
I really appreciate your input.

Fill out the guarantee form you will need it.
Posted By: mysticslobra

Re: best electric knife that stands up to catfish rib bones? - 01/16/17 05:08 PM

I have an old ginsu that looks just like an american angler and I love it with the shark blades
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: best electric knife that stands up to catfish rib bones? - 01/16/17 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide
Thats the one Mr. Tom is having trouble with. Wonder why WalMart quit stocking them?

Walmart in Canton had 2 in stock last week.

Re: best electric knife that stands up to catfish rib bones? - 01/17/17 12:12 AM

None in Gun Barrel and haven't had any or any AA blades in months
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum