Texas Fishing Forum

Suggestions for rod

Posted By: logain

Suggestions for rod - 01/04/17 03:19 PM

Wanted to start my own thread instead of hijacking another. I know it is frowned upon, on the tech forum I am a mod on, so I figured it would be here as well.

Looking to get a 2 piece, 10' rod, to go with my new Cabela's salt strikers SS-80B. This spring/summer, my brother and I plan on hitting the Mississippi, targeting big blues and flats. The general area has produced world record blues, so I want something that is going to hold up, but not break the bank. Don't want the wife getting too upset on my purchase, either. I originally wanted TWC rods, but they don't make a 10' spinning rod, sadly. I have used Cabelas King Kat rods, for blues up to 30lb, but unsure how much more they can handle.

Driving distance options, that I can remember. There is a bait shop, near my brother, that I believe sells Team catfish, eagle claw, and Okuma rods, but do not remember what ones. Been a couple years, since I have been there.

B'n'M Silver Cat Magnum - Gander Mountain
Rippin Lips Supercat - Cabela's

There was a suggestion earlier, for Meat Hunter MHR's, but was unsure how good their lower priced model was, that I was linked.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Suggestions for rod - 01/04/17 04:52 PM

Pro Angler

Re: Suggestions for rod - 01/04/17 06:32 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't heard of that one before. They look to be a pretty solid option, and the price isn't horrible either. smile
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Suggestions for rod - 01/04/17 06:42 PM

+1 pro angler

Re: Suggestions for rod - 01/04/17 07:38 PM

Does the tip on those show up well, at night?
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Suggestions for rod - 01/04/17 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: logain
Does the tip on those show up well, at night?

Yes it does.
Posted By: snowyriver6

Re: Suggestions for rod - 01/04/17 08:25 PM

i have 8 pro anglers and 2 white ugly sticks. Cant beat pro angler
Posted By: Big Zee

Re: Suggestions for rod - 01/04/17 08:46 PM

Pro Angler.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Suggestions for rod - 01/04/17 08:59 PM

All of mine are Ugly Stiks, but I have heard all good and no bad about Pro Anglers. If I ever have to replace any of the US's, I'll probably try Pro Angler.

Re: Suggestions for rod - 01/05/17 03:07 AM

Seems like an overwhelming suggestion for pro angler. This is the most feedback, that I have gotten anywhere else. Thanks a bunch! laugh
Posted By: young cat

Re: Suggestions for rod - 01/06/17 12:10 AM

I have puchased over a hundred pro anglers they are the best on the market and he will back them up

Re: Suggestions for rod - 01/06/17 02:40 PM

Do you guys use cork or the eva handles?
Posted By: wish2fish

Re: Suggestions for rod - 01/06/17 03:06 PM

Pro angler EVA. All the way. All stainless steel eyes, 13 I think, at least on the bait casters. Not sure about the spinning rods. I use the 8" glow sticks at night. Works great.
Posted By: CaptainBarkley

Re: Suggestions for rod - 01/06/17 03:28 PM

I really enjoy my Ugly Stik tigers for the price and durability. Has a soft enough tip to set circles and a great back bone. I have six of them.

Re: Suggestions for rod - 01/06/17 09:28 PM

I still have one of my glow sticks. I think it is a 7' model. I considered those, in 10', as well, but unsure how they would hold up to big fish. Biggest I ever caught, with those, was a 25lb blue.
Posted By: BigPoppa007

Re: Suggestions for rod - 01/06/17 09:48 PM

Zip tie kids 8" glow bracelets to the tips......... 8 pack for $1 at Dollar Tree.......get small zip ties about 4"
Last about 6 hours.......

Posted By: Tex

Re: Suggestions for rod - 01/07/17 03:29 AM

Thanks for all the Pro Angler suggestions...
I designed all the Pro Angler Catfish rods. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to give me a shout.

My cell number is 817-988-5468

Doug "Tex" Elliott
Posted By: Gixxer1k

Re: Suggestions for rod - 01/07/17 07:16 AM

+1 on pro angler. The ugly sticks are good too but the pro angler are outstanding. Can't go wrong, I have them on 80% of my rigs .

Re: Suggestions for rod - 01/09/17 08:58 PM

Soon as I can afford to, I will be getting me a pair of them. Will continue using my King Kat II's, with my Daiwa Emcast Sport 6000's, for now.

Re: Suggestions for rod - 01/10/17 08:38 PM

Wife gave the go ahead, so I put in an order for 2 of the 10', with EVA handle. Can't wait to get them and put my new reels on them, to try them out. laugh
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum