Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Texana

Posted By: KawikaX

Lake Texana - 10/31/16 06:01 PM

Anyone fish Lake Texana recently? Going to head out there for the first time in a couple of weeks with my son's Cub Scout troop. Hope to do some bank fishing while we are out there.

Kawika
Posted By: Jamaica

Re: Lake Texana - 10/31/16 07:40 PM

You'll probably catch some gar from the bank. I used cut bait on a treble hook. I take my bait and put it in panty hose. (so it don't fall off and keep perch off it) Gators everywhere. Be on the look out.
Posted By: KawikaX

Re: Lake Texana - 11/18/16 10:05 PM

It was a pretty uneventful trip. The campgrounds were nice...and despite all of the warnings about the renegade raccoons in the camp...none of the campers in the boy scout group we were with got raided during the trip. They were happily surprised as they found food left out during the final clean up. I even accidentally forgot to put away my pack of garlic/jello hot dogs & it wasn't touched the following morning. Back to the fishing...we started out on Friday night trying our luck at Pier 3. It's a lighted pier within the park. It's on the opposite of the boat camp in the camp area. We tried a variety of baits including chicken liver, garlic/jello hot dogs & stink baits. The only bite we got that night was off of the chicken liver which resulted in an 11 inch blue catfish that we let go. This was my first time using chicken liver...so I was hopeful that after that bite...it might heat up...no such luck. We fished in the evening probably from 8 pm until 11 pm or later.

The following day I figured we should try to catch some live bait to use in hopes of getting more bites...so we traveled to the other side of the lake where the boat ramp was so I could throw out my cast net for some shad. We spent a few hours there & I only caught a handful of shad...a couple 5-6 inches in length & a couple 2-3 inches in length. I also caught a couple of small bass & some cichlids that we let go. I was also able to net a pretty good size 9 inch or so carp. We kept him to use as bait as well. There were a lot of people on the piers through out the park....so we stayed at the boat ramp to try to catch some more bait. We were lucky enough to run across a couple of guys coming back in from a fishing trip who offered up their lone blue catfish to us. It was a pretty good sized one...I'd say around 10 lbs.

We went back to our campgrounds shortly after that & spent an hour or so taking it easy. My son wants to play with his friends...so I packed up my gear & headed back to pier 3. It was still occupied...so I headed back to the boat ramp area. I ended up catching a couple of more shad for bait & tossed them out on my poles. After about 30 mins & no action...I brought the poles up & swapped to some cut shad for bait...and let it soak another 30 mins. I was hopeful...but again...no bites. I also put out one of my smaller poles with some stink bait...but that got no action either. The mosquitoes sent me on my way & I headed back to our campsite. After dinner & socializing...we headed back to pier 3 for another shot on Saturday night. I again tried some cut shad and/or whole shad for bait (all dead at this point). I also put another pole out with some of the garlic/jello hot dogs on it. Other than a 3-4 ft alligator cruising around the pier area...there was no other action. My son played around with some smaller hooks & some sweet corn to try to catch some smaller fish for bait. He had no luck either.

I'm not sure if it was a result of the super moon that weekend or maybe the change in the weather with it getting a little colder that affected the fishing...but we had no luck out there.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum