Texas Fishing Forum

Drift fishing with live bait

Posted By: Big Zee

Drift fishing with live bait - 09/14/16 12:56 PM

Almost all my catfishing has been done by anchoring or tied off to a tree. Been getting into the drift fishing thing and have had some success. I was wondering do any of ya'll ever use live large minnows or gold fish to drift fish with? I know we use them for yellow cats in the rivers and catch blues and channels on them also. I've been catfishing for over 49 years now, but I'm really just a drift fishing rookie here. Been reading all the advice ya'll have given to everyone who asks and have put it to practice. Plan on doing more catfishing this winter then duck hunting. It's getting a little hard to get the old bones going that early in the morning anymore. cheers
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Drift fishing with live bait - 09/14/16 01:03 PM

I personally haven't done very well with goldfish. Usually use cut shad. I have used a lot of live shad but have found it not worth the hassle. On the lakes I fish, the sandbass and hybrids get to the live bait before the cats usually.
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Drift fishing with live bait - 09/18/16 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish
I personally haven't done very well with goldfish. Usually use cut shad. I have used a lot of live shad but have found it not worth the hassle. On the lakes I fish, the sandbass and hybrids get to the live bait before the cats usually.

+1 on the goldfish-

Re: Drift fishing with live bait - 09/18/16 02:55 PM

We use the gold fish on the Little River for yellow cats. You either catch a yellow or a snake. The minnow we use are about 4 to 5 inches long. A elderly gentleman sales them at his gas station. Hadn't had them lately.

Have ya'll every tried cut gold fish? They suppose to be from the carp family and I know we do good on cut carp for blues on jugs.
Posted By: MathGeek

Re: Drift fishing with live bait - 09/19/16 12:59 PM

Cut shad for me.

Sometimes we buy live and use it, but it does not seem any better. Will catch some bass though.
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: Drift fishing with live bait - 09/19/16 01:57 PM

Cut shad for me too, never tried live bait but i have a feeling bass would get to it first. Even with cut bait you'll pick up a hyb or strip
Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME

Re: Drift fishing with live bait - 09/19/16 02:47 PM

Me three... And lets not forget the power of a nice handsized piece of cut perch. smile Everytime I see one I'm like ewwwwww...food It sure makes a fine meal for an aged bluekitty that likes a little ranch dressing on their cold saltgrass steakhouse salad with croutons and cheese... roflmao roflmao roflmao thumb
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: Drift fishing with live bait - 09/19/16 03:25 PM

We use live small shad late summer when there finicky on the bite...I got a bait tank and shad are easy our way so we only keep about a dozen then throw again noidea

Prime you need to got to Whataburger man & get the triple food
Posted By: DJB

Re: Drift fishing with live bait - 09/19/16 07:42 PM

Channels love nightcrawlers Im not a pro but they work for me drifting or tied up And they're not near as messy

Re: Drift fishing with live bait - 09/20/16 02:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Big Sam
We use live small shad late summer when there finicky on the bite...I got a bait tank and shad are easy our way so we only keep about a dozen then throw again noidea

Prime you need to got to Whataburger man & get the triple food

roflmao roflmao roflmao cheers

Re: Drift fishing with live bait - 09/20/16 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: DJB
Channels love nightcrawlers Im not a pro but they work for me drifting or tied up And they're not near as messy

I knew this one elderly gentleman who would only use nightcrawlers. He would always have cats in the ice chest. I still use a lot of those old timers ways. cheers
Posted By: ZZredfish1

Re: Drift fishing with live bait - 09/22/16 03:22 PM

I've never drifted for catfish ever. I keep saying I'm going to then I anchor up and catch some.

Re: Drift fishing with live bait - 09/22/16 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: ZZredfish1
I've never drifted for catfish ever. I keep saying I'm going to then I anchor up and catch some.

I was like that, sometimes still am. But getting more and more into this drifting and liking it more. Gives a better chance to big cats.
Posted By: MathGeek

Re: Drift fishing with live bait - 09/23/16 06:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Big Zee
Originally Posted By: DJB

I knew this one elderly gentleman who would only use nightcrawlers. He would always have cats in the ice chest. I still use a lot of those old timers ways. cheers

Not elderly yet, but I always bring nightcrawlers. Sometimes they want 'em more.
Posted By: GetSlimed

Re: Drift fishing with live bait - 09/25/16 06:06 AM

Originally Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME
Me three... And lets not forget the power of a nice handsized piece of cut perch. smile Everytime I see one I'm like ewwwwww...food It sure makes a fine meal for an aged bluekitty that likes a little ranch dressing on their cold saltgrass steakhouse salad with croutons and cheese... roflmao roflmao roflmao thumb

You're making me hungry Rick! I love me some Saltgrass. food cheers

Re: Drift fishing with live bait - 09/25/16 11:57 PM

Originally Posted By: GetSlimed
Originally Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME

You're making me hungry Rick! I love me some Saltgrass. food cheers

roflmao roflmao roflmao cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum