Texas Fishing Forum

Baby on board...

Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Baby on board... - 07/25/16 12:50 PM

What age did you guys start bringing your child on the boat? I was thinking 2 1/2 or 3... Discussed with wife and she said no way in hell is she letting me take our boy out on my 19 ft skeeter at that age...she said we need a safer boat...time to step up to a CC next year I guess...anyone with some experience in this scenario?
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Baby on board... - 07/25/16 02:12 PM

My latest grandson was two
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: Baby on board... - 07/25/16 02:30 PM

I'm trying to remember. I know i had both of mine in the boat when they wer still in infant carriers, but this was on a private lake...flotation devices weren't necessarily inforced...but I can remember having them in the boat as toddlers...that's all they new...I had a picture of my youngest one asleep in the landing net when he was still in diapers. The boat ride would put them out fast...I remember my wife strapping my oldest boys high chair to the center console when he was probably 10 months old...whatever you do ..it pays to let momma do whatever it takes..so that she FEELS like the baby's safe... having my boys In the boat has been the greatest joy to me...I gave up chasing bass tournament's so that I could put more time and resources to fishing with the family, and I'm a richer man for it.

Re: Baby on board... - 07/25/16 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish
My latest grandson was two
thanks Tom!

Re: Baby on board... - 07/25/16 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: TroyKing
I'm trying to remember. I know i had both of mine in the boat when they wer still in infant carriers, but this was on a private lake...flotation devices weren't necessarily inforced...but I can remember having them in the boat as toddlers...that's all they new...I had a picture of my youngest one asleep in the landing net when he was still in diapers. The boat ride would put them out fast...I remember my wife strapping my oldest boys high chair to the center console when he was probably 10 months old...whatever you do ..it pays to let momma do whatever it takes..so that she FEELS like the baby's safe... having my boys In the boat has been the greatest joy to me...I gave up chasing bass tournament's so that I could put more time and resources to fishing with the family, and I'm a richer man for it.
. Thanks Troy..I can't wait to get my boy started!
Posted By: BigPoppa007

Re: Baby on board... - 07/25/16 02:54 PM

Mine was 24.........that's when I got my first boat........
Posted By: Caribou

Re: Baby on board... - 07/25/16 10:25 PM

Had my 3 year old out on the lake this weekend.
Posted By: big10

Re: Baby on board... - 07/26/16 12:46 AM

Took my baby girl for the first time when she was about 18 months. Never will forget that trip.

Posted By: ETX_Chad

Re: Baby on board... - 07/26/16 12:52 AM

I just bought my first boat and choose a CC with higher gunwales over the CC Bay boat version specifically because of my little girl.. She is 15 months and has been out several times. Make sure you get a life jacket that fits.

The big issue right now isn't necessarily the boating as much as the heat. They just can't handle the heat. It's short trips only and mornings or evenings.
Posted By: LowBudget Fishin

Re: Baby on board... - 07/26/16 04:10 PM

This is a picture of my son when he was 3 1/2, but I had him in the boat since he was old enough to walk. We always used a life a jacket that had a loop that went between there legs. Also my wife started swimming lessons with our children when they were 6 months old.
As far as the boat, if its safe for you, its safe for them. My wife always made a statement before I took my kids fishing : " Remember your kids are not going fishing with you, you are going fishing with them. " This means make it very enjoyable for them, don't take them out too long, make sure the weather is comfortable and they are having fun. It must of work, because my son is 23 now and goes fishing with me almost every trip. Right now is a perfect time, you can find perch any where and you can beach the boat and take them swimming. Bring your wife and make it a family outing!!
Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME

Re: Baby on board... - 07/27/16 02:08 AM

Great Post.... cheers

The wife and I have started both of our boys on the water as soon as they could walk which was about a year old or so. smile

Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME

Re: Baby on board... - 07/27/16 02:09 AM

Re: Baby on board... - 07/27/16 12:51 PM

Awesome pics....beautiful family...that's what it's ALL about right there.

Re: Baby on board... - 07/27/16 01:59 PM

Thanks gentlemen... cheers I can't wait!!!! Definitely going need a CC. 19 ft skeeter just not enough boat for family outings.
Posted By: Big Zee

Re: Baby on board... - 07/27/16 05:44 PM

Great pictures guys. MY daughters were about 3 when we started. Started on the white bass run. My grandson, his first boat trip was at 3, took him teal hunting out of the boat. Make sure you got plenty of snacks. My dad took me at 3 fishing out of a 14' flat bottom in the Little River. I cut bait while they ran the limb lines.
Posted By: StrangerThings

Re: Baby on board... - 07/28/16 11:51 AM

My boy is 2 yrs and 8 mo. I'm prob going to start taking him out and getting him used to the boat this weekend
Posted By: mjmetro0719

Re: Baby on board... - 07/28/16 01:45 PM

All great pics!

Re: Baby on board... - 07/28/16 01:50 PM

I just had a memory of taking my oldest boy when he was about 3 or 4 yrs old duck hunting.I would put his footed Pjs on him with a life jacket, wrap him in a fleece blanket, and put him in a black trash bag...I'd prop him up I'm my pirogue and throw some camo netting over him an pull the prologue behind me while I shot wood ducks.
Posted By: Fritz423

Re: Baby on board... - 07/31/16 05:52 PM

My boy was 4, I used to take him out in the canoe and catch perch on cooked macaroni and cheese.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum