Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Lewisville...Advice for a novice please

Posted By: CloveZ

Lake Lewisville...Advice for a novice please - 06/24/16 08:46 PM

Greetings ya'll. Would someone please share a good place to catch some catfish from a boat on Lake Lewisville? I'm embarrassed to say this but I must be the only person in TX that can't catch a catfish on LL.
My 11yo son doesn't want to fish anymore because we go out and can't catch one catfish. How is that possible? Threw out 5 jug lines, 3 rods, and a few gallons of stinky chum on a few occasions and not even a bite. Using bluegill and a chopped up carp for bait. We typically go on the west side of 35 in the coves.
I'm not asking for your honey hole... Just some place we can catch a few fish to keep my boy interested in going.
God Bless.
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Lake Lewisville...Advice for a novice please - 06/24/16 08:50 PM

Take some chum, go to the old dam, throw out chum in two or three spots and slip cork some sure shot or Danny kings. Get that youngun on some channelcat. For blues drift fresh cut shad on wind blown muddy points.

Re: Lake Lewisville...Advice for a novice please - 06/24/16 09:18 PM

much obliged.
Posted By: Jacky Wiggins

Re: Lake Lewisville...Advice for a novice please - 06/25/16 02:44 AM

They were biting minnows on jig heads in 19ft of water today on a wind blown point. All channel cats this time. We have been catching some mixed in with the whites and hybrids on minnows, shad and jigs lately up shallow. Try shallow around the Lake Dallas cut. If you need some sour wheat I have plenty. I'll be on Ray Bob tomorrow and have a trip on Lewisville Monday.

Re: Lake Lewisville...Advice for a novice please - 06/25/16 03:48 AM

Thanks for the tip and the chum offer. I have a big batch of milo that stinks to high heaven. Hoping to get on the water next weekend.

Good luck!
Posted By: King_Fisher

Re: Lake Lewisville...Advice for a novice please - 05/01/17 11:36 AM

Clovez - sorry to hear you're having a tough time getting on 'em. Especially hard when the kids get discouraged.

I've fished with Tom Gravley a number of times, both before he started guiding and since. Took my wife and daughter out with him and my daughter caught a 17lb. blue. Next time we went I caught my personal best a 38lb. blue.

He is a true gentleman and pays special attention to the kids. Great at giving pointers and tips. He can also put you on the sandies and hybrids for some fast action your son will never forget.

If you can swing it, I think a trip with Tom could get your son permanently "hooked" on fishing Lewisville.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum