Texas Fishing Forum

Catfish Gurus

Posted By: Jobooo

Catfish Gurus - 06/19/16 07:25 PM

What is the status on spawning cats? Best time to go?
Posted By: jmh004

Re: Catfish Gurus - 06/19/16 08:17 PM

I think they've pretty much all spawned by now.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Catfish Gurus - 06/19/16 08:32 PM

I was catching bait yesterday and brought up a net full of 2"-3" channel cats, so I assume they are done. Talk about a mess, getting 30+ of those sharp finned little devils out was a chore.
Posted By: fishslime

Re: Catfish Gurus - 06/20/16 01:24 AM

Some I caught at Fork last week had eggs in them.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Catfish Gurus - 06/20/16 03:26 AM

All still had lots of eggs last week.
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Catfish Gurus - 06/20/16 12:04 PM

Spawn is in full swing right now
Posted By: Big Zee

Re: Catfish Gurus - 06/20/16 01:44 PM

When water temp is 70 to 75 degrees. With all this fresh water, some of the lakes will lag behind. Usually rain water cools off the water. But like Salsa said, right now.
Posted By: Jobooo

Re: Catfish Gurus - 06/21/16 03:13 AM

Is full swing spawn a bad thing? I've heard they don't always bite?
Posted By: Big Zee

Re: Catfish Gurus - 06/21/16 01:39 PM

What I've always been told they bite good before the spawn and after. But all cats don't spawn at the same time, they spawn over a period of time when the conditions are right. The majority of the cats are in some form of the spawn right now. If you are in the right spot, your either catching pre spawn, or post spawn. Now that is not saying they don't bite while on the beds, they do. But the more hungrier cats are the pre and post spawn cats. Right now you have a few in pre spawn, the majority in the actual spawn with the post spawn growing everyday. Over time you will figure out pre spawn areas, spawn areas and post spawn areas. When you figure that out you will stay on the cats all the way through the spawn. With todays electronics, the chart plotters, down scoping and side scans makes finding the spawn areas so much easier.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum