Texas Fishing Forum

Depth for late spring blues

Posted By: BrianTx01

Depth for late spring blues - 05/29/16 08:54 PM

It seems like this time of year is always the hardest for me. I am thinking it is because I really don't understand spawning behavior. What depth are you catching blues at this time of year?
Posted By: Bluecatkayak

Re: Depth for late spring blues - 05/29/16 10:13 PM

I'm probably going to be fishing shallow moving water at hubbard creek this next Tuesday and Wednesday, but the lake just rose 2 foot and is still coming up.

It's finally almost full!

Re: Depth for late spring blues - 05/29/16 10:55 PM

Originally Posted By: teenfisherman
I'm probably going to be fishing shallow moving water at hubbard creek this next Tuesday and Wednesday, but the lake just rose 2 foot and is still coming up.

It's finally almost full!

Good to hear that about Hubbard Creek.
Posted By: clk

Re: Depth for late spring blues - 05/29/16 11:06 PM

Still catching them all day long in 1 to 4 ft of water on Cooper as long as there is a plenty of wind blowing. The water is about to hit 80 then I will fish shallow early morning then switch to drifting humps and points later in the day trying to keep baits above the thermocline.
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Depth for late spring blues - 05/30/16 12:09 AM

Still getting ours in 48ft!

Re: Depth for late spring blues - 05/30/16 04:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Salsa®
Still getting ours in 48ft!

Probably need to go back to drifting. In general, I have had very little time to fish and when I have my daughter is usually on board and all she wants to do is fish for Sandies. She likes to catch them and est the......now I just need to teach her to clean them.
Posted By: fergy1

Re: Depth for late spring blues - 05/30/16 04:19 AM

Blues spawn earlier than the other two. You can catch them in shallow water now feeding but they will go back to the deeper water as long as oxygen is right .
Posted By: fergy1

Re: Depth for late spring blues - 05/30/16 04:23 AM

Blues spawn earlier than the other two. You can catch them in shallow water now feeding but they will go back to the deeper water as long as oxygen is right .
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Depth for late spring blues - 05/30/16 06:06 AM

22-28 ft on lewisville
Posted By: GetSlimed

Re: Depth for late spring blues - 05/30/16 02:33 PM

Been catching plenty of blues between 4'-15' at Lewisville. Haven't tried anything deeper. Like clk said, they've been biting so long as the wind is blowing.

Re: Depth for late spring blues - 05/30/16 09:10 PM

Boated 60 blues and a handful of hybrids this morning before 10 am..biggest blue was 20 lbs...caught them in 25-38 ft of water...mostly around 30ft
Posted By: BADLANDER

Re: Depth for late spring blues - 05/31/16 03:14 AM

Got out about 630 pm couldn't buy a freaking breeze. Turned on the trolling motor and drifted across 40' flat to 20' hump, tripled up on first pass counted my blessings and headed in at dark. 3/ 2 pounders
Posted By: Bittercreek

Re: Depth for late spring blues - 05/31/16 04:06 AM

I would not. Be targeting -Blues this time. Of year.
Their Spawning.
Everone you catch. Takes away from the future of Fishing.
Is what we have been told. roflmao

Re: Depth for late spring blues - 05/31/16 01:01 PM

Keep on Trolling Bittercreek....Sounds like a success Gato!..you are a brave man taking your wife and son out to test out your redneck marine mechanic work!!! glad you r back on the water...your fishing hole sounds familiar too! See you out there soon
Posted By: CBoone

Re: Depth for late spring blues - 05/31/16 01:17 PM

I have been catching them the past two weeks in 3-7' on Tawakoni.

Re: Depth for late spring blues - 05/31/16 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Cree
Boated 60 blues and a handful of hybrids this morning before 10 am..biggest blue was 20 lbs...caught them in 25-38 ft of water...mostly around 30ft

I drifted (slowly) over that hump and didn't get a bite. I already tried a spot Tom gave me. I just cannot by a buy a blue cat bite for last several trips.

Re: Depth for late spring blues - 05/31/16 07:03 PM

How are you rigging? When did you fish? What was the wind speed and direction? What was your drift speed? I'm a high plaines drifter

Re: Depth for late spring blues - 05/31/16 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Cree
How are you rigging? When did you fish? What was the wind speed and direction? What was your drift speed? I'm a high plaines drifter

I was drifting about .3 - .5 mph. I used Santee Cooper rigs with 2 oz no rolls. The time I drifted was about 10pm on Monday.

Re: Depth for late spring blues - 05/31/16 10:14 PM

santee 1' off the bottom..shorter rigs been working way better ...those humps are ambush points for sandies and hybrids for the first hour and half of daylight and then again the last hour and a half of day light...sometimes they stay there feeding all day..blues hang around eating injured and dying shad as they fall to the bottom...all the fish I caught early were slim and looked empty and by the time I was done they were all gorged as fat as could be....you need to fish those holes when the sandies are feeding..that's when the cats are more active ...10 pm might be about the time those fish turn off after gorging at sunset...just my guess
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Depth for late spring blues - 05/31/16 11:00 PM

Been doing good a tawakoni in less than 6 feet for lots of eaters size blues and occasional Channel
Posted By: CatfishinCaleb

Re: Depth for late spring blues - 06/01/16 03:29 PM

Anyone know the depths that are good for Hubbard right now?
Posted By: spazm09

Re: Depth for late spring blues - 06/01/16 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: CatfishinCaleb
Anyone know the depths that are good for Hubbard right now?

I catch them in 3-6 fow on the north end of hubbard when the Lavon gates are open. PM me if you want more info
Posted By: Josh Morgan

Re: Depth for late spring blues - 06/03/16 02:38 AM

We caught a couple last week drifting towards the bridge at tawak but nothing major using minnows. what have yall been using for bait for the cats? I caught some small threadfin shad and tried that a few weeks back but had no luck. Sandbass fishing on the other hand has been pretty good though.

Re: Depth for late spring blues - 06/03/16 12:07 PM

Shad and gill chunks both been working equally for me
Posted By: wrestlefish

Re: Depth for late spring blues - 06/10/16 04:40 AM

I have been getting out once a week. Last week of May I tried a deep drift in Westlake and nothing. Anchored up on a windblown point and found a consistent bite in 2 - 10 foot of water. On Wednesday, we had a high pressure day and I just wanted to get out on the water. It has been my experience that high pressure days can be tough but we hammered them. All fish caught in 40 foot of water, plus or minus five feet. Boat was hardly moving as the wind was hardly blowing. Live shad two reels up from bottom. Poles going in the water. Had a blast. Lost a big one that took my down line under the boat hard. That fish owned me. I had no chance.
Posted By: BankfishinDave

Re: Depth for late spring blues - 06/10/16 08:10 AM

Like my chances fishing under 15ft this time of year and should get better as the Summer water temps start setting in. Daytime bite can tough for big fish but night and evenings can be productive. Weak baits that dont hold a hook well like hooker threadfin shad usually require alot of bait changes due to turtle and gar thefts but perch, drum, grinnel and large gizzard shad do better. Windy conditions can help a lot as well. Slow time of year but I think it can be worth the night trip occasionaly.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum