Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing near pampa tx

Posted By: 1badsktr

Fishing near pampa tx - 05/13/16 07:05 PM

1badsktr Online content
Outdoorsman

Hi. I will be working. And staying around the pampa area. For a few weeks, and happened to notice there is quite a bit of water : (lakes,streams and creeks) in the area, was curious if anyone could give me some advice as to the fishing in the area? I'm just looking for somewhere to wet a line in the evenings after work, all fishing will be done without a boat. I will be taking a throw net so I can catch bait if necessary.

Thanks in advance
Posted By: lowew79

Re: Fishing near pampa tx - 05/14/16 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: 1badsktr

1badsktr Online content
Outdoorsman

Hi. I will be working. And staying around the pampa area. For a few weeks, and happened to notice there is quite a bit of water : (lakes,streams and creeks) in the area, was curious if anyone could give me some advice as to the fishing in the area? I'm just looking for somewhere to wet a line in the evenings after work, all fishing will be done without a boat. I will be taking a throw net so I can catch bait if necessary.

Thanks in advance

Is there? Unless something has majorly changed since I was up there (my birthplace), I'd bring a book and leave the rods at home. The only lake I know of that is in or near Pampa is the tiny man made one at the city park. Unless you want to drive all the way down to greenbelt, but I'm not sure how Lake Greenbelt is doing water level wise. You can't always trust those maps, some of those lakes are absolutely empty, just gone. Lake Meredith for example I BELIEVE is still nearly empty.

http://amarillo.com/news/local-news/2010-12-19/rebound-hopes-evaporate

All that being said I haven't been up that way in a few years, maybe the recent rains have changed things..
Posted By: jgauna

Re: Fishing near pampa tx - 05/15/16 02:49 PM

That article is from 2010.
Lake Meredith is full or above now with all the rain the panhandle has had.
As far as where, there is a swimming/camping area I know family is catching smaller fish, but I myself have not been there in years.
Try from the docks around the marina also
Lake Meredith beleive would be your best bet.
Good luck
Posted By: trapperben

Re: Fishing near pampa tx - 05/15/16 03:12 PM

Meredeth and Greenbelt are about 25% full. Meredeth did get so low no idea how many fish survived. Greenbelt you might have a chance at catching a walleye. There is a pool below the dam at Meredeth that might be your best bet for bank fishing.
Posted By: txninja

Re: Fishing near pampa tx - 05/15/16 07:21 PM

Meredith has water.. 6000 plus surface acres, not anywhere near full but more water than all the lakes in the panhandle combined. When the lake was at record lows it had golden algae and most of the fish died, except for the cats. Tpwd has seen decent numbers of channel cats.the lake was stocked with fry walleye this year and 6" crappie.

Greenbelt, would be a good place to try. MacKenzie is ok, but has limited bank access. If I was after cats I would check out Foss in Oklahoma. It has some good cats in it. You could also check out lake fryer near perryton. Do some research on the tpwd site.
Posted By: 1badsktr

Re: Fishing near pampa tx - 05/16/16 01:08 AM

Awesome. Thanks. For all of the input
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum