Texas Fishing Forum

Bubba Blade Knifes

Posted By: Big Zee

Bubba Blade Knifes - 05/11/16 01:49 PM

Have any of ya'll used these knifes to fillet cats with? I've been looking at both the 9"flex or 9" stiffle. Thanks for the help.
Posted By: HeavyLead

Re: Bubba Blade Knifes - 05/11/16 03:08 PM

I have the 9" stiffie. Honestly, not really worth the high price, but they do work. A stiff knife has its place. I use it to push through big rib bones. I don't know what is compelling about the flex knife though. As good or better can be had for less money.
Posted By: Magged Out

Re: Bubba Blade Knifes - 05/11/16 03:37 PM

Got the 9" as a gift. Personally don't care for it, too clean fish. Nice for slicing briskets.

I use my Victorinox 6" boning knife for slicing and dicing cats.
Posted By: G Love

Re: Bubba Blade Knifes - 05/11/16 05:26 PM

Did 60 Channels in about 15 mins with one the other day. I Can definitely tell cleaning Redfish for a week did a number on the edge, though. I'd recommend one with some flex. They're good. But they're still just a filet knife. Dexter, just as good.
Posted By: REDGUN

Re: Bubba Blade Knifes - 05/11/16 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: G Love
They're good. But they're still just a filet knife. Dexter, just as good.

+1

I like the bigger handle of the Bubba Blade, but not enough to pay their asking price.
Posted By: Jerod Pontello

Re: Bubba Blade Knifes - 05/11/16 06:11 PM

I have the 9" flex and love it
Posted By: Dothead

Re: Bubba Blade Knifes - 05/11/16 09:09 PM

A $15 Dexter Russel is all you need. They hold there edges, and reshapen real easy. Widely used from freshwater to saltwater.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Bubba Blade Knifes - 05/12/16 12:29 AM

I like Dexters. We keep 3-4 of them ready to go in the boat.

What does anyone know about the Cut-Co Fillet knife? I got one as a gift and have never used it. Its cool and all with the retractable blade and multipurpose sheath, but I never remember to try it out.
Posted By: sling

Re: Bubba Blade Knifes - 05/12/16 01:34 AM

The bubba blade is just a blade...only buy one if you really love the handle...the blade is absolutely nothing special. I wish I could get their handle on every knife I have. I have one...I use it...but sometimes I think I only use it because I have it. It is very nice when it's freshly sharpened and it's definitely a great brisket knife.

For the money...for fishing and cleaning your catch, buy a 3 or 4 different sized dexter sani-safe knives. I use the paring sized knives for cutting bait on the boat, and I have a couple of their fillet knives. You really can't beat them. Their handles are easy to hold and the blades are fantastic...they hold an edge and are easy to sharpen. They're really perfect for what you're going to use a fillet knife for.
Posted By: forsanmedic

Re: Bubba Blade Knifes - 05/12/16 03:01 AM

I have a cutco that I really love. Had all the cheaper ones, and none of them lasted as long as my cutco. It takes an edge easily as well. I have had days where I was the only one cleaning fish out of a group and fillet 100+ fish at a time, and it has yet to fail me. Just hit it a couple times on the sharpener and go back to work. I also like the ability to make it 7" to clean smaller fish and 9" to clean the bigger ones. Also can take the blade out to wash it. Now the sheath, I only use it to hold the knife. I don't even use the whetrock attached to it. I use the $2 red ceramic ones they sell in the fishing dept.
Posted By: lambcotx

Re: Bubba Blade Knifes - 05/12/16 03:19 AM

I have all dexters but my dad likes the bubba blades for trimming. They have a new one out that they teamed up with cca on. It looks really good but have t held one. The blade is long and thin and has a grey handle.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Bubba Blade Knifes - 05/12/16 04:13 AM

I've been a Dexter Russell fan for years and in my opinion are the best bang for your buck.
Bubba blades are nice knives mostly because of the fancy handle, but it's all about marketing so they can sell the knife with that high price tag.

Re: Bubba Blade Knifes - 05/12/16 01:11 PM

Thanks guys for all the info.

Re: Bubba Blade Knifes - 05/12/16 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: TCK73

What does anyone know about the Cut-Co Fillet knife? I got one as a gift and have never used it. Its cool and all with the retractable blade and multipurpose sheath, but I never remember to try it out.

MAAAN! I prob cleaned around 1000 fish with mine and lost it somehow. That knife is money. It was a gift also. Had my name on it and everything lol It had the orange handle. Great Knife!
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Bubba Blade Knifes - 05/12/16 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: TCK73

MAAAN! I prob cleaned around 1000 fish with mine and lost it somehow. That knife is money. It was a gift also. Had my name on it and everything lol It had the orange handle. Great Knife!

Cool, mine has my name on the blade as well. Hopefully Friday it will get some use.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Bubba Blade Knifes - 05/12/16 04:19 PM

I a retractable Cutco filet knife I received as a gift also. The knife is nice; a lot better once I put a proper 20 degree bevel on it with my Work Sharp sharpener. I've paid no special attention to the sheath, it's just where I store the knife.
Posted By: Timberking

Re: Bubba Blade Knifes - 05/12/16 06:40 PM

Over rated. Keep mine as a boat blade and fillet with 9" Buck.
Posted By: TxCatfishGuide

Re: Bubba Blade Knifes - 05/13/16 03:04 AM

Dexter is 1/3 the price and a better knife. Don't believe the hype.

I have a BB and am glad I didn't pay for it!

Re: Bubba Blade Knifes - 05/13/16 01:09 PM

Bought a Dexter Russell 9" yesterday. Thanks for all the info.
Posted By: CypertJ

Re: Bubba Blade Knifes - 05/14/16 11:23 PM

I have a 9" flex and it's a great knife for cleaning fish. The handle is very easy to grip even when wet, mine gets hott with a honing stick prior to each use and the edge is still in great shape. I would definitely buy it again.
Posted By: stubby77

Re: Bubba Blade Knifes - 05/14/16 11:58 PM

Did 60 Channels in about 15 mins with one the other day. I Can definitely tell cleaning Redfish for a week did a number on the edge, though. I'd recommend one with some flex. They're good. But they're still just a filet knife. Dexter, just as good.
that's pretty fast 4 fish in fifteen minutes nice job
Posted By: stubby77

Re: Bubba Blade Knifes - 05/15/16 12:01 AM

I sorry that's 4 fish a minute.now that's fast.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Bubba Blade Knifes - 05/15/16 12:26 AM

I want to watch G Love clean fish.
Posted By: opus

Re: Bubba Blade Knifes - 05/15/16 01:51 PM

Me too
Posted By: Cast

Re: Bubba Blade Knifes - 05/15/16 02:24 PM

I have two old electric knives I use to fillet. I learned using these knives. They're pretty old, I wonder if they still work?

Re: Bubba Blade Knifes - 05/16/16 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Txmedic033
I want to watch G Love clean fish.

Originally Posted By: opus
Me too

Can't blink or you'll miss it roflmao
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum