Texas Fishing Forum

catfish spawn

Posted By: Lewisville fisher

catfish spawn - 04/21/16 09:46 PM

do catfish spawn in the creeks?
saw a whole mess of them way up in a creek, my 6 lb line could not handle them.
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: catfish spawn - 04/21/16 10:22 PM

spawning hasnt really started yet. they are feeding heavily before the spawn, don't forget though that cats live year round in the creeks so most likely were not ones that migrated up

Eric
Posted By: Lewisville fisher

Re: catfish spawn - 04/21/16 10:35 PM

they were not there last week. today I could see at least 30 catfish large trying to swim upstream along with carp and gar, these fish are too big for the normally small 2 ft deep creek. I can see their fins above the water
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: catfish spawn - 04/21/16 11:29 PM

Where are these fish!?
Posted By: Jacky Wiggins

Re: catfish spawn - 04/22/16 03:25 AM

Have seen good amounts of shad in the creeks off Lewsiville and Grapevine this year. The catfish will follow the shad to feed on them. Caught a nice Blue way up Denton Creek a few weeks ago. Pecan Creek water temp is normally higher than the main lake and I've caught some good channels up there this time of year.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: catfish spawn - 04/22/16 12:50 PM

Catfish move up into creeks to spawn just like other fish do. Blues especially. It may be mother nature's way of insuring a concentrated food supply for all the baby fish. Lot's of eggs and lots of fry to feed on in a small area plus all the vegetation washed in by the spring rains. By summer's end most of the surviving spawn will have dropped back into the main lake.
Posted By: G Love

Re: catfish spawn - 04/22/16 09:24 PM

Yes they do. Some live there all year. They also move around freely year round. It's a free country. They like to swim sometimes.
Posted By: sapalmer

Re: catfish spawn - 05/05/16 05:38 AM

End of may and through june. Best nights are when the temps reached 100 degrees that day.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum