Texas Fishing Forum

Bank fishing Sinkers

Posted By: Cyberfisherman

Bank fishing Sinkers - 04/18/16 10:17 PM

Okay guys! So Im curious to what you guys are using out here for bank fishing as far as sinkers are concerned. That meaning weight for casting, wind conditions, bottom conditions such as mud or sandy and rig type. Personally when Im trying to cast longer distances, I have been using 5 oz to 6 oz pyramids on a type of three way rig with the weight at the bottom. The only problem Ive found using pyramids is that can get hung up good which can be a hassle but they seem to hold. I use especially in high wind conditions. If Im casting close, I use a Carolina with a 2 oz no roll. The same is true with the Carolina rig from my kayak. Just want to see what every one is using. Everyone fishes different and Im always open to new ideas. Especially if it works well.
Posted By: BankAngler50

Re: Bank fishing Sinkers - 04/19/16 01:16 AM

Never liked pyramid sinkers, I use good old bank sinkers 3 or 4 oz most of the time and have a few 5 or 6 oz in my box, if I need heavier sinker I just use snap swivels to add a 3 or 4 oz sinker to the weight.

Never have a need for c-rig, always use 3-way rig with weight at the bottom like yours. If I want the bait to sit at the bottom like c-rig I just slack my line. I use a special 3-way swivels bought from Amazon.com (imported from China) that won't cut your line and it's pretty easy to retie your leader to length you desire. No need for any float either, because float will reduce your cast distance.

Each rod or pole has its sweet weight spot for optimal loading thus furthest cast distance, beyond that adding more weight won't necessarily increase your distance. My rule of thumb is to use enough weight to hold my bait in place, not more.
Posted By: Ingle777

Re: Bank fishing Sinkers - 04/19/16 02:06 AM

Ive always used egg sinkers on my carolina rig, but on a 3 way rig i use a bank sinker. Ive wanted to buy some no-rolls but not sure where to order from. Where do you get yours?
Posted By: Texasian

Re: Bank fishing Sinkers - 04/19/16 08:41 PM

It's a holdover from my saltwater fishing days, but I've always used a Fishfinder Rig, it's a sliding sinker rig with a sinker slide (with a snap for easy weight change)...basically works like a c-rig. Disc sinker, slide, and bumper (or bead) above a snap swivel then a leader and hook. If I want the bait off the bottom then I use a slotted cigar float on the leader a few inches above the hook (Santee-Cooper Rig). The disc sinker sometimes move in heavy current so I'll sub in a pyramid.

This is basically it, but I use a snap swivel instead of a barrel swivel to make it easier to change out pre-tied leaders. I also use a circle hook so I don't have to worry about setting the hook and can have multiple lines in the water and not worry about losing a fish. With this rig, the fish can run without feeling the weight of the sinker and firmly set the circle hook all by itself.

Re: Bank fishing Sinkers - 04/20/16 04:09 PM

These kinds of rigs will helicopter on casting limiting your distance.
Posted By: Texasian

Re: Bank fishing Sinkers - 04/20/16 06:17 PM

You can limit helicoptering by shortening the leader (a foot or less) and by casting completely vertically (like in surf fishing) with a spinning reel.

Re: Bank fishing Sinkers - 04/20/16 08:49 PM

Yep, overhead cast, surf rod, spinning reel, PLUS 10-15 mph wind, that's how, but any helicoptering will nosedive your bait quickly in the wind. Even with 3-way rig I rarely tie my hook leader longer than 8 inch. Tried them all, for surf rod (9' or longer ) distance cast fishing from the bank, only 3-way rig will do. All the regular bankers at Tawakoni, the one that come in pair and with waders and minnows seine and big coolers, use 3-way rigs for the reason I stated above.
Posted By: acbrown1977

Re: Bank fishing Sinkers - 04/21/16 01:34 PM

Ive tried so many different rigs for cats and went back to my saltwater experience... What Texasian is using is the same setup I use.
Sometimes I'll rig with a 2way after the sliding C rig weight..... but it doesnt work as well...
Posted By: acbrown1977

Re: Bank fishing Sinkers - 04/22/16 07:46 PM

forgot... when I fish live bait, I'll use a 3way swivel with a circle or egg weight similar to a pyrimad... it will get twisted on a reel in.... but doesnt twist much, if at all, while set... leader length is key... and sometimes ill throw a tiny bobber on the live bait leader.

Re: Bank fishing Sinkers - 04/22/16 10:28 PM

What do you do when you get hunk up? And perhaps on your lucky day a 30 lb blue cat drags pyramid sinker under some big rocks, now what?

On a 3-way rig, I tie an overhand knot to create weakest link at the sinker, if I yank it hard enough I'll just loose a sinker...
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Bank fishing Sinkers - 04/23/16 12:29 AM

True that banker! I threw my pyrimads in the gutter!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum