Texas Fishing Forum

channel catfish near travis county

Posted By: catcrap

channel catfish near travis county - 04/12/16 05:16 PM

Hey yall,

been fishin on granger and the colorado river with some success. wondering if i might catch more on a different lake. where do yall go during the spawn to fill up the cooler with channel cats? any good catfish guides in the area?
Posted By: jmh004

Re: channel catfish near travis county - 04/12/16 05:28 PM

I'd stick with Granger if your going for numbers. That lake is full of smaller, eater sized blue cats.

Re: channel catfish near travis county - 04/14/16 03:30 PM

yea judging by the responses that must be the consensus. wish we had as many central tx fishing fans on here as the dfw area. maybe I should just move there haha
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: channel catfish near travis county - 04/14/16 11:59 PM

Travis has to have fish. it's just a matter of finding them. I need to take some time and do that I also like LBJ and spending next week at Inks. I'm always looking for a fishing partner to hit the lakes. Have a Seaark 1872 CC so room isn't an issue. PM me if you're interested and lets set something up. I know nothing about Granger so I would like to try that one also..
Posted By: AustinRickster

Re: channel catfish near travis county - 04/15/16 10:33 PM

Fayette Lake is about an hour away from us but it's a good catfish lake. I used to fish it a lot when I was kayak fishing. I've fished upper Travis a lot with limited success. Now that I have an OB I'v started to explore lower Travis. We'll see how it goes. I'm following you guys.
Posted By: snowyriver6

Re: channel catfish near travis county - 04/17/16 04:02 AM

I've always heard that the narrows is good place for cats on travis. Dont know the area but would like to try it sometime with someone that does know the area.

Re: channel catfish near travis county - 04/17/16 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: snowyriver6
I've always heard that the narrows is good place for cats on travis. Dont know the area but would like to try it sometime with someone that does know the area.

I have also heard the Narrows was good. I would like to go during the week when every yahoo in Austin isn't on the lake with Daddy's boat and a six-pack. I trailer my boat at Sail & Ski Marina(lakeway) and it looks like about a 30 minute boat trip from there, which I would rather do that since I have a 24/7 free ramp and one that is not crowded with rude people sitting on the ramp loading coolers and tackle boxes.. I'm self employed and work on the lake so I can get away just about any day to go fishing. I have the Lakemaster chip for my HB which shows depths and drop offs. If nothing else, it would be nice to have someone to chat with while going up the lake.

Re: channel catfish near travis county - 04/17/16 03:10 PM

Another lake close to Austin worth checking out is Decker(Walter E. Long). I have a buddy that bass fishes there and likes it, so there should also be other species there as well.
Posted By: Wadereel

Re: channel catfish near travis county - 04/17/16 06:13 PM

I have not catfished The Narrows much, but used to go every year for the White run in my kayak. I see jugs every time I go, so there has to be some cats up there. Whats great about The Narrows is 99% of the boats are fishing. I can't remember ever seeing anyone in daddies boat. I have heard muleshoe bend is a good for cats also. From what I remember there is alot of rip rap lined shore across from the park. I have been wanting to try punchbait on a windblown riprap shoreline this spring. Now that I have my boat running its time to find the fish.
Posted By: lambcotx

Re: channel catfish near travis county - 04/19/16 02:51 AM

You can get a mess on Buchanan pretty easy, it's a little early but we have been doing pretty good for a couple of months now. Bait a point that has the wind blowing across and to a channel or across a flat where the flooded willow trees are. We have been tying up to willows in 3 to 8 fow and throwing some wheat out. Fish under a slip cork with cj's , Danny kings or j pigg.

Re: channel catfish near travis county - 04/20/16 02:22 PM

yall are awesome, I haven't ever got this much of a response posting about fishing around here. I'm gonna try Buchanan after this rain clears up. Bob, I've been out to Decker, and the bank fishing from the entrance I tried was awful. Heard nothing but good things though and I need to go back out there now that I have a motor on my canoe. you sure hit the nail on the head about lake Travis. every time I go anywhere out there I'm getting "waked" to death by all the jetskis and inconsiderate kids in daddy's boat. but I hadn't tried the narrows before, probably go check it out next time I'm headed out that way. oh and by the way, I'm jealous that you can take a day off to fish whenever you want, hope to be able to do that myself one day.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum