Texas Fishing Forum

T-wak slump theories?

Posted By: go_cats_go

T-wak slump theories? - 02/29/16 03:27 PM

After seeing the Cabela's results and talking to others I was curious what others think is causing Tawakoni cats to be so difficult to catch? (Beside the fact that I just can't fish! Lol)
Posted By: OUt Cattin

Re: T-wak slump theories? - 02/29/16 03:45 PM

crazy weather and up and down water temps have had fish scattered all year and uncomfortable. I marked fish in the cabelas all day in 20 fow and just stayed with them and managed to come out with enough to finish third. I think in a week or so with steady temps the blues will blow up the shallow water and twok will be its old self again by mid March.
Posted By: BigPoppa007

Re: T-wak slump theories? - 02/29/16 04:10 PM

We had no Winter.
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: T-wak slump theories? - 02/29/16 04:57 PM

From what I seen the bottom of the lake is full of Shad.. Most I've seen in years....no shad kill & plenty to eat...fill an ice chest in 2throws wit 6-8in thread find....jmo
Posted By: lancer821

Re: T-wak slump theories? - 02/29/16 07:35 PM

We caught fish from 1-40ft deep. Bait everywhere and fish really scattered=not good numbers of fish. Blame this really nice weather. FYI, it's not just Twok. The fish are scattered on all our lakes in the region.
Posted By: TuN3R

Re: T-wak slump theories? - 02/29/16 07:42 PM

It's pretty much same here down in southtexas . Blame the weather pattern this year . They are all over the place some in real shallow water and most in deep .
Posted By: DAN-O

Re: T-wak slump theories? - 02/29/16 07:50 PM

Those low water levels the past few years just spoiled you guys...lakes are full or above full now and you can't find them...lol.
Posted By: turbofred

Re: T-wak slump theories? - 02/29/16 07:53 PM

I can tell you what it is! Global warming!!! We have had no winter and the same last year. Personally I don't think it will ever get any better and it will have a steady decline. Just my opinion!!

Fred
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: T-wak slump theories? - 02/29/16 07:58 PM

We've fished multiple boats almost everyday this winter and while we've had some incredible days...it's obviously much slower than the last 3 years.

There is almost 50% more water in the lake for starters. Plus, there wasn't a cold water trigger that sent the fish into feed mode.

So, they stayed in the fall pattern all winter and just didn't eat much. Only days we got the big fish to eat hard were those days the wind blew 30+ out of the north...

Nothing more frustrating than having a side scan full of large fish and only get a few to eat when ya know darn well in years past you consistently could get 5+ fish to eat in a similar situation.

Oh well, fish won this year and got a good break...a few more weeks fishing for them and it will be channels and stripes!!! roflmao woot

For the situation we were pretty happy overall...and like Out Cattin' mentioned...it ain't over yet! thumb
Posted By: TuN3R

Re: T-wak slump theories? - 02/29/16 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: SalsaŽ
We've fished multiple boats almost everyday this winter and while we've had some incredible days...it's obviously much slower than the last 3 years.

There is almost 50% more water in the lake for starters. Plus, there wasn't a cold water trigger that sent the fish into feed mode.

So, they stayed in the fall pattern all winter and just didn't eat much. Only days we got the big fish to eat hard were those days the wind blew 30+ out of the north...

Nothing more frustrating than having a side scan full of large fish and only get a few to eat when ya know darn well in years past you consistently could get 5+ fish to eat in a similar situation.

Oh well, fish won this year and got a good break...a few more weeks fishing for them and it will be channels and stripes!!! roflmao woot

For the situation we were pretty happy overall...and like Out Cattin' mentioned...it ain't over yet! thumb

Hopefully not long before they are shallow i guess .
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: T-wak slump theories? - 02/29/16 10:50 PM

Scattered is an understatement lol
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: T-wak slump theories? - 03/01/16 12:12 AM

Slumping Twok. Would be a great day on Benbrook
Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME

Re: T-wak slump theories? - 03/01/16 01:12 AM

Originally Posted By: 44 Diesel
Slumping Twok. Would be a great day on Benbrook

roflmao

Re: T-wak slump theories? - 03/01/16 01:14 AM

I hope it's not from Global Warming... Or Desert Creep... Lol!

Here's a good video on global warming.
http://youtu.be/I_kODETmro8

Re: T-wak slump theories? - 03/01/16 01:42 AM

And that was a good question though Mr. Miles. I know all the lakes that flooded multiple times this year or last year have all been tougher to fish than the lakes that didn't flood. Those long droughts with cold weather we're awesome...
Posted By: Cap'n Dave

Re: T-wak slump theories? - 03/01/16 02:59 AM

Originally Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME
And that was a good question though Mr. Miles. I know all the lakes that flooded multiple times this year or last year have all been tougher to fish than the lakes that didn't flood. Those long droughts with cold weather we're awesome...

thats been the story on grapevine, i went to twok thinking it would be better but my last 4 trips have been tough...
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: T-wak slump theories? - 03/01/16 03:35 AM

Originally Posted By: SalsaŽ

You are going to quit just when it is getting good.

Re: T-wak slump theories? - 03/01/16 03:39 AM

Fishing has been tough ever since the spring 2015 floods...but in general I say winter is overrated. I have always put a lot more quality fish in the deck in fall and spring/early summer than I ever did in the winter. Plus, bait is a lot easier.

Re: T-wak slump theories? - 03/01/16 03:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Cap'n Dave
Originally Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME

thats been the story on grapevine, i went to twok thinking it would be better but my last 4 trips have been tough...

Catfish do not like hip hop. You are going to have to get that girl of yours on some classic rock/country if you want to catch the big fish again.
Posted By: Pavur Outdoors

Re: T-wak slump theories? - 03/01/16 03:46 AM

Fishing maybe tougher but these types of years are very important and play a key role in the lakes ecosystem that they need.

I guess we just need to Fish harder

Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: T-wak slump theories? - 03/01/16 03:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Pavur Outdoors
Fishing maybe tougher but these types of years are very important and play a key role in the lakes ecosystem that they need.

Fish harder

Yup, look for some incredible spawns this spring. We must have had 500-1000 blues on top of the water this evening taking advantage of what the south wind had done for them, thumb
Posted By: turbofred

Re: T-wak slump theories? - 03/01/16 04:38 AM

Remember what I said!Global warming is screwing up so much stuff right now! We are loosing all our glasiers
and places that had ice all year long are bare. Our winters have gotten worse over the last 5 years. can't even get a deep freeze to kill the bugs!

Fred
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: T-wak slump theories? - 03/01/16 01:53 PM

Oh no! Guess I had better go get my tinfoil hat on.
Posted By: BankAngler50

Re: T-wak slump theories? - 03/01/16 02:06 PM

Warmer than usual water means baitfish won't ball up deep so that affects blue feeding pattern. But currents also make it harder for baitfish to ball up deep on structures, this is just my theory.

With flowing water currents in lakes that are over pool water level, shad feeding patterns will change. Not sure how plankton will float on surface with flowing currents, my guess is they are either flowing too fast or not floating on surface the marine biologists can shed some lights on this... because what I have seen in fall and early winter shad were staying shallow eating those green algae that grow on rocks and cement slabs at boat ramps every where regardless of wind directions.

Fish will adapt and follow the baitfish... scattered along shallow rocky banks shores and flats, and along the high water banks of feeding creeks and rivers that's where they will forage, that would my theory. And when they go deep and lay stationery in main lake they will be locked jaws.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: T-wak slump theories? - 03/01/16 02:50 PM

I think you are spot on. Yesterday I saw plenty of fish on my sonar & DI in 18-20 fow right on the bottom but no bites. Never saw any bait balls like normal.
Posted By: Fab

Re: T-wak slump theories? - 03/01/16 09:49 PM

I blame El Nino

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum