Texas Fishing Forum

Bait near Tawakoni/Results

Posted By: Txmedic033

Bait near Tawakoni/Results - 01/31/16 01:02 PM

I will be fishing Twok next weekend for 3 days. I could use any tips on where to get some big gizzard shad. All of my cast nets are 5/8" mesh and therefore are useless for catching threadfins. I plan on catching some locally before I go, but would like to be able to get some at Tawokoni if possible since I will be there for 3 days. Give me a good enough tip and I will catch some for you as well. I'll be staying at Shoestring farms if anyone feels like coming by and telling some fishing stories. PM's are welcome as always!

Re: Bait near Tawakoni - 01/31/16 01:04 PM

I am also curious as to how much clearance there is under the 2 mile bridge? I have a CC w/ a tall T-Top that would not make it under the bridge a month ago.
Posted By: ER74

Re: Bait near Tawakoni - 01/31/16 01:16 PM

751. Bridge. Normally has bait in the dep hole in the winter
Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME

Re: Bait near Tawakoni - 01/31/16 01:54 PM

Nick your boat should clear the bridge but your going to have to squeeze under on the west side where there is a few elevated stringers. Mine cleared about two months ago when the wife and I went and the lake was around 2 feet over. Good luck out there dude. cheers
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Bait near Tawakoni - 01/31/16 02:36 PM

I have been throwing my net in my cove for the last three weeks just to see what is there. In 5 FOW, I have been catching a few large shad, but mostly 1.5 " shad. Went under 2 mile last week, but we were in a bass boat. Good luck next weekend
Posted By: Carolinacat

Re: Bait near Tawakoni - 02/01/16 11:27 AM

Good six inch shad was just out the cove at the state park two weeks ago. Twenty fow with a taped net. It wasn't thick but good enough. Threw five or six times.
Posted By: grandpa75672

Re: Bait near Tawakoni - 02/01/16 11:46 AM

I watched a man cast netting from a pontoon at the 751 bridge Sat. I could not tell the size but he was getting a few every cast.
Posted By: grandpa75672

Re: Bait near Tawakoni - 02/01/16 11:47 AM

I watched a man cast netting from a pontoon at the 751 bridge Sat. I could not tell the size but he was getting a few every cast.
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Bait near Tawakoni - 02/01/16 01:14 PM

Be careful when you throw at 751...you are likely spend the next 20 to 30 minutes picking out tiny catfish.

Re: Bait near Tawakoni - 02/02/16 09:31 PM

I hope to bring a mess of bream along in case shad is difficult. I'm trying to decide to ice them down or to bring the bait well and use some live bait.

Re: Bait near Tawakoni - 02/03/16 02:29 PM

It's gettin close... popcorn

Re: Bait near Tawakoni - 02/03/16 08:55 PM

Nobody is volunteering to give me 20 lbs of shad frown so I've got my bream traps soaking. I'll try to catch some shad and buffalo when I get there.
Posted By: DU SOUTH5

Re: Bait near Tawakoni - 02/04/16 01:51 AM

Loads of big shad near the dam in 40ish feet. Use a taped net. A few throws and you'll have all you want.

Re: Bait near Tawakoni - 02/04/16 02:23 AM

Thanks. I saw tons of threadfins there last month when I went, but didn't throw my net.

Re: Bait near Tawakoni - 02/05/16 05:31 AM

My bream traps yielded a gallon of very tiny bream. Just big enough that I can put 4-5 on my hook and entice an eater. I will attempt to catch some big bait in the am.

Re: Bait near Tawakoni - 02/05/16 02:04 PM

Wish I could be out there to help ya Nick. Good luck to you and your group. Sometimes when things aren't going perfect you just have to zone out on everything, zone in on whats first and take it step by step. Bust out the good jams and dig down deep. There's times you will win and times you will lose, but the best part about the whole deal is your out there in the elements doing it and with friends. You are chasing a species of fish that only a small amount of people can find and catch consistently and your roundin em up by rod and reel using electronics. Sometimes I lay in bed at night all beat up and worn down with the alarm set at 4:00 in the mornin or earlier, and as I start to rub my chewed up sand paper like hands together I ask myself " what the hell are you doing Rick "? The answer always comes the next morning or evening as soon as the poles start going down and I'm rollin around on the boat with Toad Bluecat. Get em man!!!!! whip whip whip whip cheers

Re: Bait near Tawakoni - 02/08/16 12:43 AM

Bait was very easy to get at Twok. Fishing was SLOW!!!!!

We had a great time though and I would highly recommend Shoestring Farms to anyone that is considering staying near Tawakoni. Their breakfast is out of this world! Plus if you are lucky like I was, you might get to pick Tom Gravely's brain if you invite him to dinner. That guy is a wealth of knowledge and a pleasure to be around.

We caught nothing but eaters Friday and Saturday while I talked to several that got skunked. We went back for a few hours this morning and managed one more eater, a 43 lber, and had another approximately that size come unbuttoned 10' from the boat. Overall is was a great trip. Explored areas that I'd never been to before since it was only my second time on the main lake. Marked tons of scattered fish including some real toads, but they weren't hungry. Every eater that we cleaned had a completely empty stomach. I can't wait to go back and redeem myself when the fishing turns on.

Re: Bait near Tawakoni - 02/08/16 02:44 AM

I understand what you mean about sandpaper hands, Rick. When I bend my fingers, my knuckles start bleeding. I forgot to bring some O'Keefe's with me this weekend.

Re: Bait near Tawakoni - 02/08/16 02:49 AM

Posted By: Mark's Fence Repair

Re: Bait near Tawakoni - 02/08/16 03:45 PM

What happened to February being the best month for catfish?

Re: Bait near Tawakoni - 02/08/16 04:23 PM

Mother nature happened. It's gonna be great as soon as the fish decide to start eating again.
Posted By: hurricane 201

Re: Bait near Tawakoni - 02/08/16 05:03 PM

Nice fish Nick, we had a fairly slow day Friday, 36,24 were the big fish and several teens with about 1/2 a dozen eaters to boot. Wish I would have seen ya to compare notes.
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: Bait near Tawakoni - 02/08/16 05:47 PM

Thats a big shad. Youre fishing that whole or cut?

Re: Bait near Tawakoni - 02/08/16 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: hurricane 201
Nice fish Nick, we had a fairly slow day Friday, 36,24 were the big fish and several teens with about 1/2 a dozen eaters to boot. Wish I would have seen ya to compare notes.

You wouldn't have benefited much from my notes. We only caught 7 eaters Friday. I'll PM you my phone number next time so we can be in touch.

Originally Posted By: Nathan at Fork
Thats a big shad. Youre fishing that whole or cut?

Cut. We couldn't catch a fish on anything bigger than a small piece of fillet.
Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)

Re: Bait near Tawakoni - 02/08/16 09:51 PM

Cut. We couldn't catch a fish on anything bigger than a small piece of fillet.[/quote]

Though I wasn't at twok, this here is what all but one of the fish I caught Saturday wanted, small shad filets.

Re: Bait near Tawakoni - 02/09/16 01:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Txmedic033

Nice Shad and Bluecat Nick!!!! cheers
Posted By: mjmetro0719

Re: Bait near Tawakoni - 02/09/16 01:45 AM

That is a nice shad and blue! Good to hear you guys had a great time! I kept telling myself and Vess I need to make another trip up there but just haven't been able to make my schedule work.
Posted By: Cap'n Dave

Re: Bait near Tawakoni - 02/09/16 02:33 AM

i was one of the skunked! nice fish txmedic, ive never had such a hard time finding fish like i have these past few months. Props on staying with it, it was nice to meet you even by text

Re: Bait near Tawakoni - 02/09/16 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Cap'n Dave
i was one of the skunked! nice fish txmedic, ive never had such a hard time finding fish like i have these past few months. Props on staying with it, it was nice to meet you even by text

Nothing changed for me all weekend. I kept going back to the same spot that I told you I found them on Friday and couldn't get them to bite. Sat there for 4 hours w/o moving Sunday and finally started getting bit after 3 hours.
Posted By: troy4472

Re: Bait near Tawakoni - 02/12/16 01:42 AM

thats no lie and that hole in-front of 751 has something huge in there that likes to eat nets
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum